Everything falls apart - Insomnia (1)

Ship: Insomnia (Dream x Error)
Type: Angst(?)
Third person
Not requested. Still trying to get my shit together
Note: This oneshot takes place in Empireverse, where Dream and Nightmare are the leaders of two warring kingdoms. Look it up for more information
TW: War, mention of character death
Enjoy ❤️

EDIT: I published this like a week ago without realizing that half the chapter had somehow gotten deleted- I am so sorry about that!
______

"My name is Error." He paused. "I'm not going to kill you. I just need to talk."

"Why?"

"I have a lot of questions."

"About what?" Dream asked, skeptically.

Error sighed. "Nightmare has tasked me with gathering information from you whilst he is out. He's a very busy man- with the war that is. I'm sure you know the feeling." He closes and locks the cell door behind him once he's entered, and sat on a bench across from Dream. "So... What information do you have to give me?"

Dream stared. "What do you want to know?"

"Everything. Start with your name."

Dream scoffed. "I'm sure you already know my name."

Error shrugged. "Yeah. I guess I was just testing how cooperative you are." He paused. "Tell me more about your life. Who are your friends? What are your hopes and dreams? What questions do you have about the world?"

"Why? Why does any of this matter?" Dream said. Crossing his arms and leaning against the wall. "I know I'm going to be executed. Why not get it over and done with already."

"It matters because I want to know more about you. I want to know who you are. The others may not see it, but you and your people are more than just our enemy. Just because you're as good as dead doesn't mean you're dead already."

Dream paused. Who was he? He had devoted so much of his life into his kingdom and being a good leader that it was hard to remember what he actually enjoyed. He frowned. "I'm not telling you anything unless you tell me something first. Like an information exchange, I guess- you obviously think I'm some kind of a joke."

"A joke? Not particularly, most jokes are funny." Error said. He looked up at the ceiling, watching the muddy water drip down. "Do you believe in fate, Dream?"

Dream stared at the strange man in front of him for a very long time, but eventually he shook his head no. "Not really. I don't."

Error exhaled shortly. "Neither do I. But I've seen how this whole war plays out before. It's all written down. And it's a lot more fun to interfere with a story than just let it happen. And that's why I'm here." Error looked at him with a piercing stare. He didn't have malice or hate in his eyes, just a certain.. glow. Something Dream couldn't quite place. "Have you ever wondered what 'fate' really is? What it all means?"

"How would you know?" Dream asked warily.

"I just do. And I think you should think about it more."

"Why?"

Error stared at him for a few more moments. "I'm going to go back to my quarters and let you think on that. We'll have more time to talk later. Nightmare is out by the border planning another assault on your capital, once he gets back he'll address you directly. He should be back by early morning." Error got up and went to the door of the cell, leaving Dream in silence. Before he left he paused and looked back at him. "By the way, I won't kill you. I thought you might want to know that."

Dream scoffed. "Got it."

Error chuckled. "Also: the bricks are enchanted. Magic-suppressant." And with that, he was gone. Dream sighed and laid back on the wall behind him. All those questions seemed so meaningless, and yet as if it was important to remember at the same time. Strange to say the least, but the feeling of confusion, it lingered.