Peace - Hatemare + Cream

Type: Fluff
Requested by ReginagamerX
Ship: Hatemare (Hate x Nightmare) and Cream (Dream x Cross)
----

It had been months since the multiverse's last perils had been resolved. The forces of negative and positive energy had settled, a balance between creation and destruction had been found, and no further chaos had threatened the universes we know and love. The guardians of the positive and negative energies, Dream and Nightmare, had settled their disputes and gotten over their differences. Though Nightmare remained in his corrupt form, he'd accepted Dream's many apologies, and the brothers were at peace once more. Ink and Error had also found common grounds, but that is a story for another time. They'd decided to arrange two separate organizations to maintain the balance of positive and negative energy, so no further issues would endanger the lives of the multiverse's people. It was difficult to find people that agreed to work with a constant negative energy, but Nightmare managed to establish a work force that supported the cause wholeheartedly. There were no such issues with Dream's part, but little did they know the dangers of constant positivity. However, they both lacked eligible people for some mandatory positions. So, they called upon some old friends.

-

Nightmare sat in his office, contemplating what his decision would be on the matter. He had been procrastinating for too long, and it was time to make a decision. He knew what he'd have to do to resolve the issue, but he felt guilty doing so. The person he had in mind had already done so much on his behalf, it felt wrong to ask more of them. In the end, though, there was nobody he trusted more then Hate with this position. So, pushing his guilt aside and swallowing his pride, Nightmare picked up his phone. It rang for a solid two minutes before it went to voicemail. Nightmare sighed, knowing Hate didn't check his voicemail very often, but decided to record one anyway.

"Hey, its Nightmare. I know it's been a while, and a little short notice, but I need your help... Again. Sorry for calling at what I assume is a bad time, but it's urgent, as I've been putting this off for a while. As you've probably heard, Dream and I have stopped fighting. We're setting up some organizations to keep balance in the positive and negative energy, but I'm lacking a few key resources. As you could probably assume, not many people are too thrilled to be working with me. Call me back when you can, if you're interested in helping me out... again. Bye."

Nightmare sighed and hung up. Hopefully Hate would respond soon, but he wasn't really known for short notice summons.

-

"Thanks for agreeing to help us out with this! We've been looking for your skill set for a while now. We don't even have to monitor the energy levels, just resolve the conflicts! That's being taken care of by the 'higher-ups.'" Dream laughed, walking alongside Cross through the halls of the 'Benevolence'  headquarters. "Oh, and sorry for the noise, this place is still being constructed. It'll be finished soon enough, though."

The two weaved through the elegant halls, asking and answering questions, chatting, exchanging compliments. When Cross mentioned the constant positive energy as a benefit, Dream stopped walking.

"...Cross, I understand that it's easy to see that positive energy may be a good constant to have, but I have to warn you, it can be dangerous." Dream said with a sigh. Cross looked down at him, curious and a bit confused. "This was made plainly obvious to me many years ago, and it's what eventually led to Nightmare's corruption. Let me explain... The people of that time all wanted to be around me for my positive aura, and I let them, because I liked being popular among them. They got addicted to the positivity, and became bitter and greedy when they weren't around me. They harassed Nightmare because he didn't have the same positive aura, and only held me away from him more. It isn't their fault, though. I have to take responsibility for my brother's first downfall. I let them get addicted to my aura, because I believed that they were my friends. They weren't. They we using me for their own benefit. Constant positivity can cause one's true colors to show when it is removed from the equation. That's why I have to warn you, joining this cause, while it would be greatly appreciated, could hurt you."

Cross stared at him for a moment. "The warning is appreciated, but I don't think it effects my opinion on the matter very much. You said you needed me here, so here I am. Positivity is good and all, but it's difficult for me to get used to things as a "constant" ever since my universe collapsed. I think I'll be fine. You don't have to worry about it, Dream."  Cross said, putting a hand on Dream's shoulder comfortingly. Dream smiled guiltily at him.

"That's good to hear... thank you again, Cross." Dream laughed with a sigh. "God, what would I do without you... anyways, let's keep moving, we have a lot to discuss!"

-

Nightmare lay back in his chair tiredly. Organizing an entire work force was exhausting. It was stressful, finding all the people he needed for the cause, especially when they had to deal with constant negativity. That's why he really needed Hate to accept the offer, because he was someone who would benefit from the negative energy as well. He'd left the voicemail about two hours ago, and he'd turned down a cup of coffee that he really needed out of spite. He quickly realized that was a very bad idea. But, instead of taking care of his fatigue, he continued working on the papers scattered over his desk. He was numb to the feeling of exhaustion, but he was in so deep the world around him was tuned out. Maybe that was why when his phone rang he didn't pick up, or even notice. The sound of the phone's buzzing eventually got through to him, and he answered it, monotone.

"Hey, its Nightmare. No caller ID, who's this?" He asked, his exhaustion heavy in his voice.

"Hi again, Nighty, you sound awful. Have you slept this month yet?" A familiar voice answered jokingly. Nightmare let out of sigh of relief.

"Oh, hey Hate. Thank god you answered, I think I'm dying over here." Nightmare half-laughed half-yawned. "Why's your contact fucked? You don't have an ID on my side."

"I... 'found' a new phone, and thought I'd use it to mess with some people. It was what I had on me at the time when I remembered to call you. Left the life of chaos behind, huh?"

Nightmare chuckled to himself quietly. "It was fun, but a bit all over the place. You know how I can't stand unorganized activities... Anyway, as much as I'd love to catch up, I can't. I need some help with this whole... well, thing."

There was a slight pause before Nightmare could hear some shuffling over the phone.

"I'm on my way."

"What? But you don't even know what I need help with-"

"I'll find out when I get there, won't I? Cmon Nighty, did you really think I'd leave you hanging? I'm heading out and I'll be there soon."

Nightmare didn't protest. He thanked Hate quietly with relief in his voice, and ended the call. The heavy feeling of dread that had been weighing Nightmare down for what felt like weeks was lifted. He stood up to get himself some coffee, because holy fuck was he tired.

-

Even after many years, the peace was maintained. It seemed the multiverse was calm for good, or at least in a golden period of time. Most, if not all timelines were stable and secure. The few trouble-makers among the files there were, most of the damage they caused was easily repaired. Over this time, however, friendships had grown into something more. For Hate and Nightmare it hadn't taken long, a few months at most. They'd already known how they felt about each other, after all.  Hate became Nightmare's secretary, but also helped him with most of the paperwork, as there was stacks and stacks of them. Everything was thriving and working out nicely. Dream and Cross, however, grew into their relationship slowly. It'd taken a few years, but it was easy to see that it was worth it. They'd help each other with... honestly most everything that had to get done. And peace... Peace was the only true ruler of the land now.

----
Word count: 1449
I had honestly no idea how to end this and it is kinda rushed so.. sorry but ye lol