The Witching Hour - Lourik (Fell!Poth)

Type: Angst
Ship: LouRik (Lotus x Rurik/Fell!Goth x Fell!Palette)
Third person
Trigger warning: Self harm/Attempted suicide/Detailed mention of abuse
Get ready for an emotional roller coaster weeeee
(Long)
----

It was 1 in the morning, a cold, rainy winter night. Rurik sat in his room, wide awake, crying. Rurik Roller was fourteen, but didn't expect to live to fifteenth Birthday, only a week away. His family had never celebrated his birthday, nor anyone else's. They told him it was a waste of time, just a meaningless date on the calendar. One year, when he was still going to elementary school, the celebrated his birthday in class. It was the best day of his life. He told his parents about it, thinking they'd be happy for him, but he was very, very wrong. That day, they pulled him out of school, cut off all his relationships and beat him senseless for hours.

Rurik was used to getting beaten, and he had the scars to prove it. Most notably the large, dark scar on his cheek that almost went over his eye. He'd gotten that for merely talking back. His parents were sadistic, mocking him or hurting him for fun. He was sick of it. He wasn't allowed to leave his room more than twice a day, and he hadn't been outside in months. He was going crazy. Most of the time he forgot how old he really was, as all the days and nights blended into one another, but he kept track as best he could, as the boredom and fear didn't leave much else to do. The entire house stank of mold, smoke and alcohol. He'd grown used to the stench, but every so often he'd take the risk of opening his window for fresh air. He hadn't been caught doing so yet, but he knew it would happen eventually.

He also knew that within the next week he'd turn fifteen years old. He dreaded the days to come, as he didn't know if it was one or seven days away, but he knew it was coming. The only 'celebration' he'd receive was mockery and pain. Every three years he'd be tormented in some horrible way. One year he'd been forced to starve for weeks and dehydrate to the point of disfunction. It was always some kind of special hell for him, and he dreaded every day that brought him closer to the next torture. That's why Rurik wasn't going to let himself get tormented. He had a plan.

Tonight's the night. He told himself, wiping his tears and sitting up. He grabbed his old backpack, and lifted up his mattress with little difficulty. Underneath it was a rope he'd snuck into his room one day, not knowing if he'd need it or not. Now, he was thankful that he did. Rurik grabbed the rope and stuffed it into his backpack, as well as a switchblade he'd stolen from his parents room one day, and pen and piece of paper. He took his hat and put it on, even knowing the rain would ruin it. He didn't care. He wouldn't need it anymore. He put on his old, torn up boots and slowly opened the door to his room, the backpack on his shoulder. Moving through the halls quickly and silently, he peeked into the living room from the hallway, making sure nobody was there. He'd learned that his parents liked sleeping on the couch more then in their own room.

By some stroke of luck, nobody was there. But, the shattered bits of glass and empty bottles of alcohol were still everywhere. He made it halfway through the room before stepping on a piece of glass that went right through his boots. He gasped, but didn't make any other noise, which was lucky. He didn't bother removing the glass until he was on the other side of the room, by the front door. Unfortunately, by this point he was bleeding profusely from the cut. He ignored it. He was used to bleeding. He reached for the door's handle.

--

Lotus was lost. The rain was freezing, which didn't help the already very cold temperature. He was sure that he'd die of hypothermia or some wild animal before making it back home, so he sat underneath a tree and sobbed quietly. He'd been on a late-night walk with his brother, Raven, to get away from their toxic home environment. His mother and father had been fighting again, and were starting to take it out on them. When the rain started up, they'd started to walk home, but they'd started arguing about something stupid that didn't seem to matter anymore. Raven ran off without him, and Lotus had lost the trail.