Chapter 12 - dead or alive

Start from the beginning

"I may not be, but I saved your life, remember?" Y/n retorted, shocked by Skye's sudden outburst. Literally, what on earth did Y/n do to her?!

"Midas could've saved me just as easily! You know, you shouldn't even be on the team yet. You just came here like what, a month? Two months ago? And Midas just let it slip through? Some of us have worked months, even years to be considered an agent, and you just waltz in here and outshine all of us!" Skye completely snapped, screaming the last bit. Everyone, including Y/n was stunned silent by her outburst until Midas slammed his hands on the table, causing everyone's attention to snap to Midas.

"THATS ENOUGH!" he yelled, his golden eye fuming with anger as his golden features began to slowly spread up his arms. "EVERYONE OUT!"

Quickly, everyone scrambled up to leave, including Skye. "You! You sit your ass down right now. Everyone else, get out!" Skye sat down and frowned, her lip quivering as she fought back tears of frustration.

Y/n turned to leave when Midas raised his voice at her, "I'm not done talking with you either, L/n!" Y/n turned around and gulped, afraid of what she did to upset him too. This was about Skye, not Y/n. "I'll call you when I'm done with her," Midas sighed, the gold fading back to his hands as Y/n left the room, her heart pounding.

She dashed down the stairs and sat down on one of the lounges, sighing as many thoughts whisked through her mind. One of them being how fucking hot Midas looked angry like that. But when she heard Midas' faint shouts from one level below, that feeling immediately faded and turned to guilt.

About an hour or so later, Y/n was walking upstairs to visit Tina when a henchmen stopped her short. "Agent L/n, the Boss wants to speak with you in his office," he said. Y/n bit her lip and nodded, thanking him and walking to his office on the floor above.

She knocked on his door and he grumbled a "come in," and she opened the door slowly. She saw him with his black rimmed glasses on and she felt her cheeks heat up again.

Holy shit, he looks so good with those on... can he make it any harder to not fall for him?

"Y/n," he sighed, taking his glasses off. "Please sit. I want to discuss something with you."

Y/n walked forward and sat down in the chair opposite of his desk, shifting nervously. "Did I do something wrong?" she asked softly.

Midas chuckled and shook his head no, setting his glasses down and putting them back in his desk drawer. "No, no. Far from that, actually. It's about Skye. I want to apologize for my outbreak earlier, and let you know that she was completely in the wrong."

Y/n nodded stayed silent, not wanting to say the wrong thing. "You have a valid point. We need to find a way to take back the Yacht before it's too late. But more than that, I need Skye to know and understand that our relationship is strictly platonic. And I need us to understand that, too."

Y/n gulped, and she felt her heart break a little.

Great. I just got employeezoned.

She fought back any tinge of sadness that she had and nodded, "Of course, sir. Our relationship has been nothing but platonic."

Midas seemed slightly puzzled by her response, and nodded. "Of course. Strictly business. Skye doesn't understand that. She let her jealousy cloud her judgement of you, and her foolish possessiveness over me nearly cost her. I may act like her father, but I'm not. I'm just strict."

"I wasn't aware she thought of you like that," Y/n muttered, the whole outburst now starting to make sense. Maybe she was jealous she cuddled with Midas... but it wasn't like she meant to in the first place, anyway!

"It's more of that of a caretaker, since she's so young," Midas responded, chuckling lightly. "She see's me as a father. Adorable, but jealousy has no place in an enivrement like this. Romance is the epicenter for disaster when you're a secret agent like this."

"I understand. I'm sorry about any confusion, Midas— Sir." Y/n responded, forcing herself to put on a strong face.

"Good. Now, I'll be taking your advice and thinking of a plot to take back the Yacht. There was one thing Skye was right about, though. You really are my best Agent, Y/n," Midas smiled. She felt her heart flutter again, "Thank you, sir."

"Of course. You can go, if you'd like."

"I wouldn't want to distract you," Y/n began to stand up when Midas spoke up, "Wait. You being here is actually.. helping me focus more," he cleared his throat, getting his glasses out again and putting them back on. "Could you maybe.. help me plan this out?"

"Sure," Y/n grinned and sat back down. "Let's see..."