A.U 1990's - 6

Eve was washing her hands in the girls bathroom after using the toilet when she noticed someone standing behind her in the mirror. She looks up and turns around to see a pretty blonde eyeing her with her arms crossed. "Can I help you?" Eve asks as she furrows her brows at her before reaching for the brown paper towels.

"There's not many black girls in this school, especially in our grade so I️ guess it's safe to assume that you're Eve?" The girl said, glaring at her.

Eve eyes her warily. "Yeah...who are you?" She asks. The girl scoffs, as if Eve offending her by asking such a question.

"Are you serious? What, do you live under a rock or something?" She says snorts. "Or do they not have cable in the 'hood?" She taunts.

"Girl, I️ have better things to do with my time than argue with you. Hurry up and tell me what you want or get out the way," Eve snaps. That's when three other girls enter the bathroom, blocking the only exit. Eve was now slightly more worried but she tried not to show it. "So you brought more of your skinny ass friends with you. Is that supposed to intimidate me?" She points out.

"Look, homegirl," the girl says condescendingly. "You've been hanging around my boyfriend for two weeks. And if you think that you're gonna steal him away from me, you're dead wrong," she hissed.

"So you're Maddy?" Eve raises an eyebrow.

Maddy seemed pleased she recognized her. "I️ knew Zach talks about me," she says smugly.

"Yeah, to complain about you," Eve shrugs off, making two of her friends snicker behind her back. "Now are we done here? We have to study," she says as she tightens the grip on her backpack.

"Enjoy it while it lasts because once he's done with you, he'll be running back to me," she hears Maddy says from behind her. "Don't forget he's just using you for a good grade and nothing more," she starts to hear the girls giggles behind her. "As if he's into like her," she snickers.

"Zach wouldn't be caught dead with a black girl," one of her friends whispers the last part.

Eve's head starts to hurt and throat starts to burn as she tries to hold back tears as she makes her way to the student parking lot where she knew Zach was waiting. He was sitting in the driver's seat, bopping his head to the music and looking absolutely adorable. For a second, Eve pretended that they were together, and that he was waiting for her after class, like she'd imagine her high school boyfriend would've done...if she had one.

Zach looks up, sees her and smiles, beeping his horn before hoping out. "Evie!" He yells so enthusiastically that it almost made her swoon. "Hurry up! We gotta get Eva and Eddie!" He says.

"I'm coming!" She yells back, almost smiling. But she suddenly became self conscious as all eyes turned to witness their interaction. A couple of confused, surprised, annoyed and curious stares suddenly brought her back to reality.

He wasn't her boyfriend.
This wasn't a date.
He wasn't attracted to her.
She wasn't into him.

She had to remind herself that their situation definitely has made their closer, but as friends only. She will admit that she has come to like and care for Zach, but just as a friend. And probably thought likewise, or else he wouldn't be so nice to her siblings.