A.U. 1990's - 5

The next afternoon, Zach's mom walked into her home, arriving early from shopping with the other mothers in the neighborhood. She heard a loud noise coming from the living room, as well as excited baby giggling and roaring. Confused, seeing as there weren't any children in the house since Zach turned 13, she walked over to the living room and discovered two black children playing on her carpet while Toy Story played in the background on TV.

"Roar!!! The dinosaur gonna getchu' Eva!" The little boy roared again, chasing his baby sister with the toy dinosaur in his hands. Eva screamed in delight and terror as her older brother terrorized her. "Roar!!"

"No Eddie!" She squeals.

"Y'all! Keep it down!" A third girl walks into the scene Mrs. Fontaine was witnessing. "Me and Zach are-" she stops when she looks up and realizes his mom who was standing there the entire time, glaring at all three of them. Eve scooped up her little sister into her arms while Eddie quickly ran behind her, hiding behind her legs.

"What is going on here?" She asks is disbelief. "Zach!" She calls out.

Zach quickly rushes over from the dining room to the living room and sees his mom at the door. "Oh...heyyyy mom," he smiles sheepishly. "How was the mall?" He asked.

She rolls her eyes at him. "A word?" She gestures him over to the second living room to talk. "What is going on here? Who's the girl and why are these children here?" She asks. "You didn't get her pregnant did you?"

Zach scoffed at her accusation. "No! Why do people keep asking that?" He rejects. "She's my tutor."

His mom was taken aback. "What?" Her eyes widened in surprise. "Her? Look at her, she has two kids and-"

Zach sighed and closed his eyes in annoyance before answering. "Those are her youngest siblings and she needed help taking care of them after school but she couldn't do that and tutor me at the same time so I️ told her they could just stay with us while we studied," he explained. "She's the smartest girl in school, mom. She skipped a grade and is up for valedictorian with a scholarship lined up to four different Ivy leagues, unlike me," he crossed his arms.

His mother seemed annoyed by his response. "Just know, that we are not running a day are, alright?" She says one last time before heading upstairs to her room. Zach walked back out to meet Eve, feeling bothered. But that soon all faded away when Eva ran up to him. "Zach!" She raised her arms up, indicating she wanted to be held. Zach smiled down at her and picked her up into his arm.

"Eva, where'd you go?" Eve walked through the doors of the second living room and saw Eva in Zach's arms. "Dude your house is so huge, it's like a frickin' maze," Eve jokes as she walked over to them. "There you are you little monster!" Eve tickled Eva, who started to giggle and squirm. Luckily Zach had a good grip on her. Eve held her hands out for her sister to take but she instead wraps her little arms around Zach's neck and shook her head "no." Eve playfully gasped at this. "Eva!"

"No!" Her sister states.

"Looks like I'm the new favorite," Zach gloats.

"You traitor...." Eve points at her. "Well Zach, looks like you gained a little sister. Bye-bye Eva," Eve waves at her sister. "Looks like me and Eddie are gonna go home and you get to stay here with Zach in his big, scary house," she taunts.

Zach looks offended. "My house is not scary!" He defends.

Eva watches this and almost cries. "No!" She reaches out for her sister, causing Zach to put her down as she runs towards Eve's open arms.

"Alright fine. You can stay with us," she jokes, looking up at Zach with a humorous smile.

"Eva...I️ thought what we had was special," Zach fake cries.

"Give it up quarterback, you lose," Eve taunts as she picks up her sister again. "Guess that's not something you're used to?" She laughs.

"Not usually, no. But lately it has been feeling that way," he says as they both walk out the room and back to the kitchen. "I️ mean, I️ lost my playing time, my girlfriend-"

"Yeah but," Eve speaks up as she sets Eva on the countertop and starts packing her bag. "you're gonna get all of that back," she reminds. "Two more tests."

He frowns as he watches her pack. "Are we not gonna study anymore?" He asks.

"Not unless you feel like paying me an extra $20," She smiles. "It's getting late and Eva is starting to get tired," she picks up her sister once again. "Eddie! Time to go!"

"Aw...I️ like hanging out with you," he lets slip, making them both look at each other in surprise. Before Zach could take back his awkward admission, Eve simply smiles reassuringly at him.

"I️ like hanging out with you too quarterback."

"You've been doing good so far Zach," Mr

"You've been doing good so far Zach," Mr. Hanover praises, calling Zach & Eve back after class to discuss his grades. "Plus you've been doing all your homework and passing your quizzes. I️ think you'll be able to play sooner than you think," he smiles.

Zach looks over at Eve with a smile. "I️ have a good tutor," he compliments, making her smile back.

"If there's anyone I️ knew could help you, it's Eve," their teacher smiles. "Alright we'll, I'll leave you two to it. Remember, one more test and you'll be off the bench and on the field," he says as he walks out the classroom.

Zach smirks at Eve and holds his hand out for a high five, which she reciprocated happily. "Way to go quarterback."

"All thanks to you genius," he said. "Hey, you wanna go out?" He asks, catching her off guard.

"What?" She furrows her brows in confusion.

"To get food or something," he shrugs. "Eddie and Eva can come. Just something to eat before we dive into some more math," he suggests.

"Yeah sure," she nods, following him out the door. She didn't know why but for a second, just a second, she thought he might actually like her for her and not because she's helping him with a grade.

But that was stupid. Because a girl like her would never be with a boy like him.
____________________________

So I'm replacing all the old 90's chapters with these news ones! So if you knew what the old chapters were about and were here when they were published, you deserve a veterans discount 😂