present day - 17

Aaliyah dreaded going to school. She laid in bed as the alarm endlessly went off, reminding her that it was time to face reality. She sighed and forced herself to get up and get ready. She texted Elijah that she was waiting for him to pick her up and he texted her that he was on her way. On her way out of her room, she spots the Queen album she bought earlier last week and stops and thinks for a moment. Before she knew it, she was stuffing it in her bag and walking out the door.

She and Elijah silently sat next to each other in the car, letting the music fill the silence instead. "Can't we listen to something else?" She asked.

Elijah looks up at her as they stop at a stoplight. "What's wrong with Travis Scott?" He asks her.

"Nothing," she quickly answers. "I️ just, rather not hear something so...loud, in the morning," she tells him.

Elijah looks over at her and rolls his eyes. "Okay...so what do you wanna hear?"

She holds her hand out for his phone and and he hesitantly gives it to her. She types in some music and hits "play". Soft R&B fills the car, and gives her a sense of peace.

"I️ think you're truly something special..."

And then he changes the song.

"Hey!"

"You tryna make me fall asleep or something?" He snaps. "Damn, get outcho fuckin' feelings bro."

Aaliyah's jaw dropped at hearing that. She scoffs and looks out the window, wondering how long it was until they reached school so she could get the hell out of this car. Elijah and her simply got out the car once he parked. No "see you later", "have a good day", no kiss, nothing. Just a frigid ass nod like she was one of his homeboys and then he moved on. Aaliyah rolled her eyes and made her way to her homeroom so she could get her new schedule.

She walked in and noticed Carolina was already in there, looking over her schedule and texting. Aaliyah boldly walked forward and sat down next to her, still not getting her attention. She must've been ignoring her on purpose.

"How long do you plan on ignoring me?" Aaliyah asks as she looks over her new schedule for the spring semester

"Until I️ don't feel like it anymore," was all she replied with.

The bell rings, signaling it was time to switch classes. Carolina got up first, followed by Aaliyah who quickly caught up with her. "Carolina, please. I️ already apologized. What more do you want from me?" Aaliyah asks, exasperated. "You're my best friend, okay? I️ need you more than you think," she pleads.

Carolina eyes her up and down dubiously. "God you're needy," she scoffs. But then playfully rolls her eyes and opens up her arms for a hug. "Okay, fine, you win," she giggles. "I'm sorry for being such a bitch," she now apologized. "We cool?"