1960's - 2

Mason Raines hated his little brother.

Alex Raines worshipped his older brother.

Together, they were an unstoppable force against Theo.
Theo, the boy who's always had their mother's love since the beginning.
Theo, who was easily the smartest of the three and most likely going to Harvard.
Theo, who had Katheryn Knight as a best friend but obviously wanted her as something more.

Mason missed their mother everyday. He just didn't have his heart on his sleeve like Theo's wimpy ass did. Instead, he covers up his grief and his pain with sports, being the best baseball player their school's ever seen. But once he realized that channeling his emotions through sports wasn't gonna cut it, he moved on to something else.

Destroying Theo's self-esteem.

The smug fucker always thought that because he was into politics and understood why the Russians were able to get Sputnik to the moon, it automatically made him better than the other two. For a long time, Mason and Alex were their father's favorites. Real boys, his father would agree. Boys that liked to play rough, get dirty, and not cry. Unlike Theo who'd rather run around with a colored girl and read books.

But as soon as Theo started impressing his father with his grades, their father turned on them.

"Where are your grades hm? Why aren't they as impressive as Theo's?" He would ask.

After that, it became clear to Mason that there was one thing left to do to destroy his brother completely. And that was to mess with his girl.

Kathryn was always a girl that he considered his annoying little brother's best friend

Kathryn was always a girl that he considered his annoying little brother's best friend. He never once cared about her or anything to do with her. But that all changed as soon as she and her brother started high school alongside with them. She then went from an ugly little black girl to looking somewhat foxy.

Mason has girls come and go in his life, but Theo only had one girl in his, besides his mother. It was another thing Mason had hated. His annoying little brother lucked out and already met the girl that would love him forever.

He wanted that. So he wanted her. And he wanted nothing more than to see the pain in his brother's face when he did take her from him.

____________________________

Kathryn and Theo didn't usually walked home from school together for Kathryn's sake. Their town was terrorized by KKK members and although her family loved Theo, they preferred they'd stay away from each other outside of their homes and school. They barely spoke at school too, not wanting to get in trouble with bullies like his brothers.