1950's - 2

Grace Hooper and her family; her father, the dentist

Grace Hooper and her family; her father, the dentist. Her mother, the maid. Her younger sister, and her grandmother, all moved to their new neighborhood, due to a fantastic pay raise in her father's job. Instead of living in the slums of the poorer sector of the town, or the "colored" section, they got to be able to live among the very few coloreds in the better part of town. A couple people tried to stop them from moving, but nothing could stop her daddy from trying to raise his family in a better environment.

But Grace still had to attend the all black school in the other side of town, because she wasn't allowed to go to the nearest school in her neighborhood. But according to the news, Thurgood Marshall was working on rectifying that right now. She, alongside her family, had high hopes that he would win the case so she that she didn't have to wake up at 5 A.M. to catch the hound to school. But while they were battling that out in court, Grace was stuck going to school across town.

She woke up at the crack of dawn, and walked over to the room her little sister and her grandmother shared. She shook the young girl softly until she woke up. "Ella," she whispered. "Time for school," she told her.

"No...." Ella groaned. "I'm sleepy..."

"Well if you would have went to bed early like I️ told you to, you wouldn't be so tired," she scolded. "Now up!" She patted her arm before making her way to the bathroom for a cold shower, betting on it to wake her up. Careful to not wet her hair, she hurried up and then got dressed.

Around 5:15 A.M., she and her 7 year old sister were ready to go out the door, trying to hurry to make sure they weren't too late for the hound. The good thing about waking so early, was that not many of their white neighbors were awake to bother them.

They finally made it to the hound stop with ten minutes to spare, and although they were both hungry, she knew they'd have to wait till they got to school to eat anything. When the bus finally arrived, she paid their fare before heading towards the back of the hound. She actually didn't mind sitting so far in the back. She actually preferred it, because she would be left alone with her thoughts, and she wouldn't want it any other way.

Ten more minutes pass and they make it back to the other side of town. They're picking up a lot more black folk and a lot less white folk as most of them had already gotten off at their respective stops. Soon, she heard someone call out her name, making her look up and smile as she spotted her best friend Josephine make her way towards her and Ella. "Hey there stranger," Josie greeted as she sat down next to them both. "Hi Elle," she waved over to her.

"Josie, hi!" Grace smiled at her bestie.

"You must have it made in the shade with your new pad on the other side of town," Josie gushed. "What's it like over there Gracie?" She wondered.

As soon as she asked, they had arrived at their stop. The three of them got up and exited, starting their one mile trek to their run down school. "Well, it's not all it cracks up to be if that's what you're thinking," she tells her as she hold on to her sister's hand.