A.U. 1990's - 2

Eve was always a smart girl. She made honor roll every semester and every semester she would try to invite her absent parents to the ceremonies. But her mother was either too high too even know what was going on and her dad was usually off gambling with friends, getting drunk and sleeping in the most randomest of places in their neighborhood.

Eve was so smart to the point where she started skipping grades. When she tried to tell her parents this, her mom was passed out while her dad simply sneered and verbally abused her for "thinking she was better than them" and "rubbing it in their faces".

In eighth grade, a caring teacher had her IQ tested and found out that she had the IQ of 130, which turns out, means superior intelligence. Where most parents would be ecstatic to find out their child was a genius, hers could give less of a shit.

And when she earned her scholarship to West Valley Prep, her dad just called her a "uppity bitch trying to fit in with white people."

Well jokes on him...she didn't have any white friends at school.

While everyone at West Valley already had their established friend groups from elementary school, Eve had to be the newest addition ever since they all entered middle school. She was the youngest of her classmates and was also the poorest and to be frank...one of the only few black kids at her predominantly white school.

Despite all that, she still managed to come out on top and was ranked #1 in her senior class. Was she proud of her efforts? Of course . Her guidance counselor said she had a high chance of having a full ride to any college of her choosing and that to her was exciting. No one in her family had ever gone to college, and being the first was just...such a crazy thought.

But then she thought about her siblings.

All Eve knew was that she wanted to go to college, but she couldn't go too far and risk losing everyone.

"Alright class I'll see you tomorrow," Mr. Hanover dismisses. Eve grabs her bag and was about to head out the door when Mr. Hanover calls her back.

"Eve, could you stay back a second?" Mr. Hanover asked.

"Sure...." she said. "Um, am I️ in trouble?" She wondered.

"What? No! You're one of my best students," he laughed off

"What? No! You're one of my best students," he laughed off. "Quite the opposite actually. I️ was hoping you could help me with something," he said.

"Okay..." Eva said, leaning against a desk.

"I️ need you to help tutor a student. He's been failing recently and I️ believe with your help, we could really help bring his grade back up," Mr. Hanover explained.

Eve sighed. "Mr. Hanover, I️ would if I️ could, really. But I️ have a lot going on. I️ have to find a new job cause I️ just recently got fired from my old on for being late all the time and I️ have to be home at a certain time or else the babysitter-"