1980's - 3

Lisa Bonet as Monica

"And he wouldn't even listen to a freakin word I️ said," Maya complained to her new friend as she opened her locked to switch books out

Monica had to be the only other black girl in the school that wasn't annoying, especially after her almost being mowed down by Nick Brewer and their current rivalry. All the girls wanted to know how she'd managed to grab his attention and the gag was she didn't even want it.

But Monica seemed relatively unaffected by Nick, seeing as she practically grew up with him and knew who he was before high school. Maya believes they used to be friends at some point but, Monica wouldn't go too much into details about him when she asked. She just simply shrugged her shoulders and told her that she's known him since kindergarten and that was that.

"I️ can't believe he actually blamed you for the shit Nick dragged you into. Your old man's stricter than I️'ve ever seen anyone been," Monica commented.

"Not only that. He said he's cutting me off and forcing me to look for a job," she sighed. "Says it teaches accountability and responsibility, something or the other," she rolled her eyes as she shut her locker. They walked side by side to lunch, taking their time. "Where would I️ even apply?" She wondered.

"Dairy Queen is always hiring," Monica chimed in.

Maya scrunched her face up in contempt. "This entire school goes there are after and stuff. Seeing them once a day is more than enough," she shot down. "How about the arcade?" She wondered.

Monica shook her head no. "Gross. Spending all day with bratty kids and middle schoolers? Doesn't sound like fun to me," she said.

They walked past a bulletin board full of flyers and announcements, making Monica stop in her tracks. She reached out and grabbed Maya's wrist to stop her as well. "Look," she pointed out. They saw a lot of ads for help cleaning houses, mowing lawns, after school tutoring and babysitting. "How about you...tutor math?" She suggested. "Lots of people need help in math."

"Me included," Maya chuckles. "I️ suck at math."

"How about cleaning-"

"No."

"Mowing-"

"No."

"Babysitting?" Monica tried. "And don't you dare say-"

"Actually...that doesn't sound too bad," Maya pondered. "I️ like kids honestly," she stated as she tore the phone number tab off the flier. "I️'ll give..." She squints as she reads the name off the paper," Mr. Chandler a call later this afternoon," she said with a smile.

That's when she was shoulder checked by someone passing by, making her and Monica's jaw drop at the disrespectful action. And who else could it be than Nick and his new bimbo of the week on his arm. "Watch it dork," he hissed as he continued his way down the hall.

Maya let out a frustrated huff. "What's his problem Monica? Has he always been like this?" She asked.

Monica sucked in a sharp breath. "No actually. He used to be really nice," she sounded nearly upset. "Sweetest guy ever...until sixth grade hit."

"What happened in sixth grade?" Maya curiously asked.

"It was like he snapped," Monica shuddered. "He went from being happy to being miserable and it's like he made it his mission to make everyone else miserable too."

Maya titled her head in deep thought. But before she could think about it any further, the bell rings for class once again. She simply shrugged and walked to her next class, waving Monica goodbye. She then noticed Nick sneaking off to the side exit of the school, throwing his shades on and spinning his keys around his finger, happily skipping his last period like he usually does. Maya simply rolled her eyes at him. He wasn't the priority anyways, getting a job was.

                                      * * * *
"It was so nice meeting you Maya!" Mrs. Chandler smiled, as they both stood up. "Cal seems to really love you, and you seem completely trustworthy, competent and-"

A door behind them opened before slamming shut. "I'm home!" A male voice yelled out, making them both look towards the kitchen entrance. An older man walked up, looking really grumpy actually. He ignored them both completely in favor of walking to the fridge first to grab a beer. Maya watched out of curiosity as he opened it and guzzled it all down in one sitting. "You made dinner yet?" He asked his wife, still ignoring the fact that Maya was there. Until he turned around, and realized she was there. "Oh," he said. "Nicole...who's this?" He asked.

"This is Amaya, sweetie," she introduced her to her husband. "The new babysitter," she announced.

"Babysitter?" He questioned.

"Yes honey. We talked about this. Remember?" She tells him, making Amaya look between them both.

Her husband eyes Maya up and down, probably longer than normal but she wasn't sure. He then narrows his eyes at her, as if he didn't know why she was there. "You made her our babysitter without asking me first?" He looked over at his wife. "And what if she isn't a good fit?" He questioned, glaring at her again.

"She's fine honey. You worry too much," she tells him, making him back off. "How does $10 an hour sound? We both work all afternoon and late evening, and the on weekends it's even later, maybe even up to midnight. How does that sound?" Mrs. Chandler asked.

"Oh, that's perfect," Maya says with a smile. "I'll just come by after school. Stay here on weekends if I️ have to. And if anything pops up, I'll let you guys know," she tells them. "When do you want me to start?" She asks.

"Actually this tomorrow night," Mrs. Chandler said. "We were planning on going out for once. We need you that night."

"Absolutely. I'll be here," she nodded, holding her hand out to shake hers. "It was lovely meeting you," she grinned. She then held her hand out towards her husband too. He took it, only to pull her a bit closer.

"You better prove me you're the right choice young lady," he said gruffly before letting her hand go, making her step back a bit.

She left the house, grabbing her bike from the front lawn and hopping on before riding off back to her house. It was nearly 5 p.m. and she had to get back home before the streetlights turned on. She couldn't wait to tell her dad she got a job and rub it in his face. He probably didn't think she could do it, but she just proved him wrong.
________________________________
Vote! Comment! Show love!

What are you thoughts? Let me know in the comments 😌