present day - 3

Aaliyah watched from the stands as Elijah fiercely argued with the coach

Aaliyah watched from the stands as Elijah fiercely argued with the coach. She couldn't tell what it was about but whatever it was, it involved Jackson. Jackson stood next to the coach, looking between Elijah and the coach, unsure what to do or what to say. She frowned.

Poor boy....

Soon, the coach's voice overpowered Elijah's and whatever he said shut Elijah right up because he stopped arguing and grumpily puts his helmet back on. Everyone got back into position, and she watched as on if the guys called out the plays, threw the ball back to Jackson, who caught it effortlessly. But before he could pass it, Elijah barreled down the field towards him and rammed into him, harshly knocking him into the ground. Aaliyah gasped and stood up, as everyone else also crowded around Jackson, who wasn't getting up. A couple of teammates had to help him up, walking him off the field.

The coach blew his whistle and declared practice over. Just as Elijah headed over to the locker room, the coach held him back by the shoulder and said something that he must've disliked, because he angrily chucked his helmet against the grass and stormed off.

Aaliyah sighed, knowing she was in for a hell of an afternoon as she got up and picked her bag off the ground, heading down the bleachers to wait for Elijah to change so he could give her a ride.

"Aaliyah, hey!" Jackson smiled brightly as he got out of the locker room, no longer wearing pads and a practice jersey but instead wore gym shorts and a tight fitting shirt like the rest of the guys coming out of the gym. She couldn't help but stare at his impressive physique but quickly covered it up with a smile.

She noticed him limping a bit and her lips fell to a frown. "Are you okay? I️ saw you get sacked like, super hard," She cringed.

Jackson simply waved her off, walking over to a nearby wall to lean on. "I'll be fine. Nothing an," he winces once more before finishing off his sentence, "ice bath can't fix." He then looked down at her and asked, "what are your plans for this afternoon?" He asked her.

"Elijah's taking me home and then I️ gotta get started on some homework," she tells him.

"Aaliyah!" She heard her boyfriend call from behind her.

"Speak of the Devil," she whispers, making him smile a bit. "I'll see you later?"

"For sure," he nods, as she turns away and hurries over to her boyfriend. He takes his time walking to his car, making sure to go slowly so he doesn't mess anything else up. Their next game was Friday and he was really eager to play so he had to make sure he takes good care of himself. But before he could get in, he heard loud yelling coming from across the parking lot. He looked up to see Elijah, going off on Aaliyah. And Aaliyah yelling back, seemingly trying to defend herself.

"Get your own ride home then, cause I ain't putting up with this!" Elijah yelled once more before getting into the car and furiously driving off, Aaliyah banging and kicking on the door for good measure. She then lets out a loud frustrated noise before pulling out her phone and storming off to the sidewalk to make a call.