1980's - 8

"You hear from Hailey bro?" CJ said as Chris and him were walking to the locker room after basketball practice.

"Nah man. Me and Hailey haven't talked since the first week of school," Chris said as he put his gym bag down on the bench and started to strip. "Why?" He wondered.

CJ laughed as he started changing next to him. "Rumors going around bro. Nick Brewer's messing with your sister."

Chris stopped, not comprehending what he was hearing. "What the hell are you talking about CJ?"

"Your sister's a babysitter's right?" CJ asked, to which Chris nodded. "Well, according to Monica, who told Gia, who told Shayla, who told Hailey, Amaya's working for Nick's family. And they've been getting pretty close. Maybe too close-"

"Don't! Talk about my sister like that," Chris warned, pointing at him. "Just get to your point."

CJ put his arms up and backed off. "Dude, all I'm saying is, watch out. Look, Amaya's a really nice girl, okay? Don't want to see her getting her by Nick. I've heard he can get pretty violent. You saw that first day here," CJ warmed before shutting the locker right next to him, leaving him to his thoughts.

                                      * * * *
Nick was shoving his books from his locker into his bag when his locker suddenly shut in front of him, making him jump back in surprise. Nick looks over to see Maya's older brother Chris standing there with his heavy hand on his locker, looking pissed. Nick simply sighed and rolled his eyes. "Oh, it's you," he sounded unimpressed.

"I'm only gonna ask you this one time," Chris said, getting straight to the point

"I'm only gonna ask you this one time," Chris said, getting straight to the point. "What's going on between you and my sister?"

Nick raised his eyebrow. He knew he shouldn't be at all surprised that Chris knew. Word traveled fast in their little town, especially in their school. "What are you talking about?" Nick asked, feigning ignorance.

"Don't play with me white boy, you know exactly what the fuck I'm talking about," Chris points at him. "And let me tell you right now, I️ don't like it."

Nick balled his hands up before catching himself. This was Maya's brother. And he knew that if he did something against him, it would be like going against her too. So he took a second to relax before answering. "Listen man-"

"Chris?" Maya spoke up from behind them, making them both look at her. "What are you guys talking about?" She sounded genuinely confused.

"You actually," Nick spoke up, making her eyes widen in surprise. "Yeah, he wanted to know if anything was going on between us," he tells her.

"What'd you say?" Maya curiously asked.

"He didn't say anything," Chris interjects. "I️ was just finding out right now."

Both siblings looked at him now, waiting on his answer. "Of course not," Nick scoffed. "Now if you excuse me..." he turns the other way and makes his way down the hall to his next class.