1980's - 6

"You going to CJ's party tonight?" Monica asked while they were in class. It was the last period of the day, and everyone was buzzing about their basketball team's recent win, achieved by her brother and the team captain, CJ Hartfeld. A lot of people suspect Chris was going to take over as team captain once CJ headed off to college, despite Spencer Hayes being co-captain. Him and Spencer have been butting heads lately but regardless, they still worked together pretty well.

And because of last night's victory, CJ was having an open invite house party to celebrate, meaning booze, dancing and possibly some third base action. "I️ guess so," Maya shrugged. "I️ mean, if Chris is going..."

Just then, she caught sight of Nick in the hallways. He nodded towards her as he passed her by, acknowledging her presence. She gave him a small smile before continuing on her way.

"No way," Monica gasped, "since when are you and Nick Brewer friendly?" She asked.

"I️ mean, I babysit his brother so, we're cool I️ guess," Maya offered as an explanation. "You think he's going to the party?" She asked her.

Monica laughed as if she asked a silly question. "Are you serious? Nick Brewer is the keg king," she emphasized. "Whenever's there's a party, Nick's there," she says. "You going?" She asked.

"Yeah," she sighed. "If my brother's going, I️'m going," she stated. The bell rang, and Maya said, "See you tonight?"

"How about I️ come over and we get ready together?" Monica suggested, making her smile.

"That sounds like so much fun. I'll see you later then," Maya waved before heading to class. On her way, she spotted Nick talking to Alicia Fuentes, although it looked more like flirting than talking with the way he leaned in closed and she giggled at whatever he was saying. She then let her hand linger down his chest before leaving him hanging , making him turn to watch her walk away. They lock eyes in the hallway once more before she turned away.

                                   * * * *
"The rules are simple," Chris said as he drove both his Starr and Monica to the party. "Stay out of my way. Don't embarrass me. Don't leave without letting me know," he listed out. "You got that?" He asked her.

"Mhmm...." she simply hummed, looking out the window.

"Maya this is serious. I️ don't want to have to tell mom and dad I️ lost their child because you refused to listen-"

"Don't worry so much Chris," Monica stepped in, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. "I'll be by her for most of the night," she promised.

Chris looking reached a stop sign and looked over at her with a raised eyebrow

Chris looking reached a stop sign and looked over at her with a raised eyebrow. "Most of the night?" He questioned.

"Okay, the entire night. You happy now?" Monica sassed him.