1960's - 5

Kathryn walked into school with a lot of the (black) students giving her looks of sympathy. No doubt hearing from their mom's and grandma's from church about the attack on her house, her father and their pastor. Not wanting to deal with their fake words of pity, she decided to meet up with Theo at their usual spot at the library. She quickly ripped out a page from her notebook and scrawled out a note to slip into his locker.

At lunch, she made her way to the library to wait for Theo at their spot. Five minutes in and she wondered if he was talking to a teacher.

Fifteen minutes in and she assumed he probably decided to have lunch first.

Thirty minutes passed and she worried of someone, especially his brothers, stopped him in his way there.

When their lunch hour came to an end, she left the library, upset. Theo would never purposely skip out hanging with her. So what happened?

It seemed like her answer came in the form of Mason, laughing and high-fiving one of his baseball buddies as they just finished stuffing a black kid in a locker. Kathryn didn't want to do it, but desperate times call for desperate measures. So, taking a deep breath, she mentally prepared herself for how this conversation was gonna go and walked over to him.

"Mason," she called out, making him turn around. Confusion was written across his face as soon as he realized Kathryn was willingly speaking to him. But he quickly covered it up with his usual cocky grin.

 But he quickly covered it up with his usual cocky grin

"Kitty Kat," he greeted a bit too happily. "Well well, well, let me guess? You finally realize you wanted to be with the better brother," he said, making her cringe. "I️ don't usually do black girls but for you, I'll-"

"Can it," she cut him off, disgusted. She then opened the locker door that was holding the scared male black student hostage. "You can go," she tells him. His eyes darted between her and a menacing looking Mason. "He's not gonna do anything to you, I️ promise," she said, carefully watching him. The boy quickly climbs out and pauses for a moment to look back at them. Mason steps up to him in an attempt to scare him but Kathryn steps in front of Mason and pushes him back. "I'm looking for Theo," she explained, crossing her arms. "He was supposed to meet up with me and he never showed so, what did you do to him?" She boldly poked him in his chest.

Mason looked down at her with a raised eyebrow. "You're so cute when you're trying to be scary," he laughed off. "Anyways, I️ don't know what you're talking about. I️ haven't seen the dweeb all day," he pushed her hand away from him, turning to leave. Kathryn sighed and was about to leave when Mason's voice stopped her in her tracks. "Actually, now that I️ think about it, maybe he's avoiding you," he said, catching her attention.