1950's - 1

"Alright, I gotta split," Danny said as he passed his father on his way out the door

"Alright, I gotta split," Danny said as he passed his father on his way out the door. He was planning on buying a couple of snacks and then meeting up with his friends at the passion pit to annoy other people and throw popcorn at them. It was the last day of summer before school and they wanted to get as much fun as possible.

His mother quickly stopped what she was doing and went over to him before he got a chance to leave. "Daniel wait!" She called out to him. "Just a warning now darling. Dorothy Rivers from down the street just told me about a new black family that's moving into the neighborhood," she said "black" with such distaste. "You be careful now, and avoid those people as much as you can, alright?"

Danny rolled his eyes but sighed and nodded. "Of course," he obliged, making her smile. "Me and the guys are heading over to the pass- I️ mean, drive-in for one last movie." He told her.

"Sounds lovely, be safe," she kissed his cheek before letting him go. He walked out the door and started his trek down the street and around the corner to the little convenience shop owned by Gary and Regina Matthews, who he went to church with.

Their little community was pretty tight knit, to the point where everyone knows each other's business. Danny didn't know how bad it was until see took Celia Cook, or C.C. as most people called her, to the sock hop and most people assumed they were going steady, when that wasn't the case at all. From then on Danny figured that he had to make sure to find a way to make his business, his only.

He walked into the store and was greeted by Gary Matthews himself with a smile. "Afternoon there Daniel, what can I help you with?" He asked politely.

"Just here for some snacks Mr. Matthews," Danny flashed a smile before roaming through the back aisles, looking through the shelves as he grabs a couple bags of Cheetos and Chex Mix before moving on to the candy section to grab some chocolates and Pez's. He heard the bell ring as the door opened, signaling that someone else had arrived. And Danny would've continued browsing and minding his business, if it wasn't for Mr. Matthews' shouting.

"Absolutely not. Get out!" He heard him raise his voice, which Daniel found quite out of character for him. He instantly looked up, startled by the yelling. He slowly walked around to the next aisle over to see who Mr. Matthews was yelling at. And to his surprise, it was just a girl.