Chapter 51

When Taehyung woke up, he was already in the Min Kingdom. And boy, was he livid.

Eunwoo breathes softly in his spot, just feet away from the raging Consort, cursing at the King in his mind. Your majesty...how could you make me do this? Your First Royal Consort is so scary...

"So that fool thinks he could pacify me with a letter and a royal decree, huh?" Taehyung murmurs, the slow and soft tone inflicting more fear in Eunwoo than fiery rage. "And you knew about it, Royal Guard Cha?"

Eunwoo immediately threw the King under the bridge. It is not a good idea to anger the King, but his intuition says he shouldn't anger the person holding the King's heart. "Your highness, I didn't want to do it, but I can only follow the King's orders. For sure, he did it to keep you safe."

"Of course I would be safe under the protection of King Min in this palace," Taehyung says, then he sighed. "But what about that fool?"

That fool who is standing alone in the palace of the Jeon Kingdom, who had trapped Kim Taehyung with a letter and a decree in the Min Kingdom.

Taehyung fists the letter. He has a strong urge to tear it apart. Then he smoothens it out again and keep it safely in his robes, for what if... what if this is the last thing Jungkook writes to him?

The wind blows to flip open the last part of the decree on the table, which Jungkook wrote his will:

•—•—•

...I thus decree my only heir, borne to Royal Consort Bae, to be the legal charge of guardian Kim Taehyung, currently the First Royal Consort of the Jeon Kingdom.  

In view of their crimes enclosed in this decree, the Bae family is to be exiled beyond the borders of the Jeon Kingdom and to never return or claim lineage to the Jeon royal family.

In the event my heir is not safely born and given to Kim Taehyung, the heir to the throne will be from the lineage of Princess Jeon Jungkyung.

In either event, Kim Taehyung will be crowned both Queen and regent until the heir is of age at eighteen years, and thereafter Queen Dowager.

Signed,
King Jeon Jungkook

•—•—•

"Mama, is that the returning army under General Kim Seokjin?" A five-year old on the streets asked, pointing at the billowing flag held up high by the soldiers nearing their street.

"General Kim is back? Oh yes it is about time. Let me see!" The woman exclaims, shouting for her neighbours to head out as well.

She had heard that the army led by General Kim was tenacious and strong, and had successfully signed a peace treaty with the Song Kingdom. The men can finally return and the war had ended. Moreover, she would be lucky to glimpse a sight of General Kim, who is said to be sculpted from beauty.

"Eh, that flag reads...Prince Jeon Junghyun?" The woman says in confusion. "Yikes! My cart!" The woman shrieks as the troops passed by and flipped the woman's wares over.

One of the soldiers shouted, "if you want your lives, get out of the way and stay inside your homes!"

The people quickly scrambled aside, not wanting to be trampled by the troops riding past on tall stallions.

"Oh Gods above..." another citizen gasped. The river of troops seem to never end, the soldiers passing by their houses for what seemed like hours, all heading straight for the capital.

Along the heavy steps of armoured foot soldiers and galloping hooves, was their chant, "welcome Prince Jeon Junghyun, rightful heir to the throne!"

•—•—•

In the palace of the Jeon Kingdom, all consorts were gathered in the King's hall. For once, they were quiet, all still processing what the King had just told them.

"You are all gathered here today because I have something to offer you. A new life.

I have news from the various guardposts in the kingdom that my brother, Prince Junghyun, and his personal army are arriving soon. It is at most two days, or a matter of hours before he reaches the capital. He is coming for the throne.

I am now giving you the choice to leave this palace. You need not worry, for I have prepared houses and riches for you. If you need, I can give you a new identity, and no one would know who you were.

I think all of you are worth much more than being a consort, waiting for someone who might not remember you. And I would never give you anything more than luxury, for my heart is already taken.

For those who want to stay, you will no longer be a consort of mine, or be under my protection. What would happen to you when my brother storms into the palace is up to fate. He may take you in as a consort or he may take your life.

If you want to go, I have people to take you away now.

Goodbye."

The King stands from his seat and leaves, not giving the consorts another glance. He had fulfilled his promise that Kim Taehyung will be his only.

"Wait, your majesty!" A voice calls.

Jungkook turns, to see Consort Sooya and Consort Rose trailing behind her. "What are you doing, Sooya? We have to go," Consort Rose urges.

Consort Sooya only wants to know one thing, "your majesty, is the First Royal Consort safe?"

Jungkook pauses, "yes."

Consort Sooya nods and says, "thank you your majesty, for all that you have done for us."

Then she turns, leaving the palace behind.

- a/n -

We are near the end!

Please vote or comment and be safe 💜

- rsv (resha)