Chapter 1

Hair resembling the softest gold silk, eyes a penetrating blue, lips more tantalising than rose petals, the First Royal Consort, Kim Taehyung is indeed the most beautiful in the Kingdoms.

Taehyung gazed at the consort kneeling a short distance from his feet. She was trembling slightly in fear, yet kept her chin up so he could see the prideful expression on her face. He spoke, voice a deep velvet honey, "Royal Consort Moon, do you know what was your wrongdoing?"

Royal Consort Moon, the sister of General Moon, was arrogant and unforgiving.

The King had spent two consecutive days in her chambers and she was strutting around like a peacock, squawking to all who would listen, and brandishing her feat into the faces of other consorts. Taehyung would not have bothered if that was all she did.

Royal Consort Moon committed her first mistake when she wielded the King's affection like a sword and bullied the other consorts for entertainment.

A few days ago, she had ordered her servants to slap Consort Sooya and push Consort Rose into the pond who almost drowned in the incident. Royal Consort Moon chanced upon the two by the pond and was angered Consort Rose did not invite her to the small tea party between them.

She had then proceeded to the garden, and ordered Consort Momo to kneel for two hours for failing to greet her. Consort Momo did not even know of her presence as she was far away at the other end of the garden.

Royal Consort Moon replied Taehyung, "I want to see the King." She was blinded by her wishful thinking and this was her second mistake.

Taehyung's cherry lips parted gently, "Chaeyoung, Royal Consort Moon will learn to answer a question when asked the first time. Slap her till I say 'stop'."

"As you wish, your highness."

Royal Consort Moon shouted in anger and fear, "You wouldn't dare to! You may the First Royal Consort but I am the King's -"

"What are you trying to say? That you are the King's favourite?" Taehyung laughed, a melodious tune in the air. "For even you know, I am the King's favourite."

Taehyung leaned back into his seat, relaxing as Jimin massages his scalp.

"Look around you, Royal Consort Moon. All your attendants are kneeling on the floor with their heads bowed. They have been in this palace longer than you have, and had seen many consorts come and go. You are but one of these consorts."

Taehyung airily sighed, as if tired of repeating the same words, "tell her, who is the King's favourite?"

The voices are in sync as they said, "you, your highness."

These three words resounded in the hall, and the surety of the statement knocked the air out of Royal Consort Moon's lungs. She fell ungracefully as she loses strength, "n-no, don't come near me."

Her pleads are of no use, as two attendants advanced and held her in place as Chaeyoung rose her hand and struck Royal Consort Moon across her face.

One.

Two.

.
.
.
Fifteen.

Chaeyoung did not relent to the angry yells and finally, Royal Consort Moon could only cry softly.

As soft as a spring breeze, and as unbothered, Taehyung said, "stop."

Fifteen. The exact number of slaps Consort Sooya was struck with. Gentle Consort Sooya was unfortunately more fragile than Royal Consort Moon; she fainted on the spot and was afflicted with fever for days.