Chapter 26

The gold thread on Jungkook's shoes glistened under the light. The national emblem of the Jeon kingdom of a ferocious wolf is embroidered on the side with its jaws wide open, ready to bite and tear.

Consort Moon would have appreciated the immaculate workmanship if the King was not stalking towards her with an aura so heavy that she bet a fly would have dropped dead if it flew head-on towards Jungkook. His footsteps were hard with anger and every step adds a pressure to Consort Moon's constricting chest, forcing her breaths to become shallow and erratic. She instinctively knows this is a different level of rage in response to the previous forms of mischief on her part.

Things will not end well for her tonight. She forced her brain to overwork as she grows increasingly desperate. Think. Think! She has to get out of this.

"What were you thinking, Consort Moon?" Princess Junghwa chided. "You are clearly unskilled yet you overestimated yourself and almost hurt a member of the royal family. If I recall correctly, this is an act punishable by public execution." Princess Junghwa said with dark amusement underlying her voice, barely concealing her anticipation of Consort Moon's downfall.

Princess Junghwa had taken to her mother's tyrannical ways well. Queen Bae was not known to be kind during her reign and was said to govern the other consorts with an iron fist. To Princess Junghwa, she has no equal, except for her brother born from the same mother and she begrudgingly gives Jungkook respect due to his position as the current King. Consort Moon's life was as worthy as an ant's in her eyes - easily crushed and not worth remembering.

In the midst of the crowd, General Moon had finally gotten out of the mess and was about to head to his sister's aid. However, it seems that she does not need any help as she pointed a manicured finger at the two consorts at the side of the hall far away from the chaos.

"It must be them!"

Consort Rose and Consort Sooya were startled to see the accusing finger in their direction.

Consort Moon was speaking quickly now with a wild light in her eyes. She grasped at the chance that could let her go scot-free and possibly eliminate the two consorts. She said, "Consort Rose and Consort Sooya were performing right before I did. The First Royal Consort had shared with us the performance sequence beforehand so they must have known I was performing right after them. They then intentionally placed needles on the ground before they left to sabotage me." Consort Moon raised her foot to show the two needles half-inserted into her shoe.

"I know that they bore a grudge against me from that incident." Consort Moon was referring to when she had almost drowned Consort Rose and slapped Consort Sooya.

"No, it wasn't us. We would never do that!" Consort Rose exclaimed heatedly. She was mortified and indignant to be accused of something she has not done. Consort Rose and Consort Sooya had focused solely on delivering their performance and they had practiced for weeks on end, the idea of sabotaging another never crossing their minds. Sure, she put in extra effort and had hoped to outshine Consort Moon but to plan to hurt her? Never!

Moreover, she wouldn't risk getting caught and punished. She had heard the stories of the cruel punishments past consorts had faced. By the gods, she cannot imagine the consequences if the King believed the vile woman.

Consort Sooya only nodded in agreement shakily, not knowing how to argue their case eloquently. She was panicking now, tears threatening to fall as she fears the King would stand by Consort Moon instead of by the truth.

"Your majesty!" General Moon called as he hurried over to stand beside his sister.

Jungkook paused, the reminder of General Moon's existence pulling back his reason. General Moon is still of use to the country and there is no other candidate to defend the South border. Eliminating Consort Moon now and potentially losing General Moon's loyalty is not a good move.