Chapter 17

"I have concerns, your majesty. Would bandits not attack and steal if we send gold and silver instead of supplies to the borders?" Minister Bae said after the King asked the officials' opinion on sending money directly instead of supplies to the borders.

Jungkook replied, "as compared to herbs, food, clothing, and other supplies, money would be easier to tally when it reaches the borders. Furthermore, there will be no spoilage. In the previous delivery, bouts of heavy rain heavily damaged the supplies, and it was reported only half of them could be salvaged. If the army purchases from vendors directly, these consumables would be fresher as well. With regards to robbery, we could increase the number of guards."

"Well then, how sure are we that General Moon will be utilising the funds properly? Would he spend it all on prostitutes and wine instead? Forgive me for my bluntness my King, but now is a time when we should protect the royal treasury. Every cent counts during times of war." Minister Bae pressed on.

The other officials were dead silent. While Minister Bae has always been direct with his words, rarely does he speak so candidly.

Jungkook drummed his fingers on the table in thought. Does the two have a feud I do not know about? Is this because of the recent rumour that the top contenders for queenship are Consort Moon, Royal Consort Bae, and the First Royal Consort? However, I would agree that his words carry reason.

Jungkook easily manoeuvres out of this challenge, as he had already thought things through. He said, "I see where you are coming from, Minister Bae, and I have a solution. We will pick an official, neutral and fair, to join the party delivering the money and to report the expenditure of the army. Not only that, we will have checkpoints and different officials to confirm the amount delivered. Minister Bae to check and sign at the royal treasury when the money is withdrawn, the chosen official before the delivery, and General Moon upon the money's arrival at the borders."

The other officials murmured and generally agreed this would solve the issue.

Minister Bae nodded, there is indeed no other problem he could raise. The question is, who is a suitable candidate?

The officials pondered the same question, quickly identifying the pros and cons in their minds. If this task was done well, the King would be impressed and his favour would be greatly beneficial to rise up the ranks.

However, many things could go wrong. First, the threat of bandits and robbery is very real. Second, if either Minister Bae or General Moon claims the money is correct while the official claims it is not... what would happen next? Go against either of them? That would be a death wish.

Some of the officials kept quiet, praying they would not be assigned the role. Others wanted to try, willing to take the risk for the potential rewards.

They need not think further, for the King already had his mind set. He called out, "Scholar Yoo."

The top scholar of the most recent imperial examination and said to be as witty as the descendants of the Kim family. Not born to any noble or wealthy family, Scholar Yoo Ah In got his position in the imperial examinations and court with his capabilities alone. He is one of the younger officials whom Jungkook has the intention to groom.

He stepped out to the empty aisle in the middle of the court, head low as he await the King's next words.

"You will be the official taking the role. You will be truthful and fair in your duties, and be heavily rewarded upon your return. You will leave for the borders once the amount is decided."

Scholar Yoo bowed, accepting his new role.

Jungkook addressed the Court, "if there are no other matters, Court is dismissed."

As Jungkook leaves the Court, one of his personal attendants reported, "your majesty, his highness the First Royal Consort has caught the cold."

Jungkook paused. Taehyung rarely falls sick. And when he does, he seems to suffer more than the normal person.

He ordered, "we will make our way to where he is now."

- a/n -

Quick update!

Please vote or comment and have a nice day 👻

- rsv