Chapter 24

Taehyung watched from his seat as the royals and nobles bowed and curtseyed, their voices resounding through the Royal Court as they wished Jungkook a long life filled with blessings. Taehyung's seat was nearest to the King and slightly above the others on an elevated step big enough to fit his table. He was seated below the platform where Jungkook's throne and table was at.

Goosebumps littered his skin as the sight of the most influential people in the country with their heads low in front of the power that could have their heads rolling, if that was what Jungkook wished for.

Is that why so many royals and nobles had more than willingly put their lives on the line? Is that why Jungkook does what he does? Was it worth it? Would he had done the same if he was in their shoes?

Taehyung does not know, for he had never done anything for power.

Taehyung looked at the King. He wonders what goes on in Jungkook's mind as he sits at the highest point and looks at the people and lands he owns.

Jungkook ordered the guests to drop the formalities and enjoy themselves for the night and Taehyung looked back down as the attendants of the Royal Kitchen entered and placed the food on each table.

Taehyung blinked. He had set the menu and took the liberty to change half the food items to sweets of all kinds for himself. But there was not a single pastry or sweet in front of his eyes, save for a flask of honey chamomile tea.

He stopped the attendant and asked, "are you serving the pastries later?"

The attendant answered, "your highness, this is everything for your table. I have received instructions from my superiors to not to give you any sweets."

From his superiors? Taehyung's jaw flexed. Taehyung's position was only second to the King. Only the King will and can override his order. Taehyung huffed. He is no longer sick and he was looking forward to tonight's dishes! Taehyung gritted his teeth.

Music by the Royal Orchestra filled the air as the guests started eating and watching the dance performance happening in the middle of the Court. Taehyung finds his family amongst the crowd and his mood brightened. He caught Hoseok's eye who raised his cup of wine and winked at Taehyung. Taehyung raised his cup too, smiling as they both finished their drinks.

Chaeyoung widened her eyes beside Taehyung. Who the heck is this man flirting with the First Royal Consort in front of everyone? She glanced to the King who didn't seem to have caught on. She tried screaming in her head, my King! Shouldn't you do something? I mean, look at the First Royal Consort who is amazing on the inside and beautiful on the outside and look at that unknown man with that glorious smile and nice hair and nice face and nice body and nice clothes.

You've got competition.

The King remains unmoving. Chaeyoung sighed dramatically. When will her ship sail?

Hoseok laughed silently. Does Chaeyoung know her face just displayed so many emotions and expressions in the short moment that passed?

Chaeyoung narrowed her eyes. Was that flirt laughing in their direction? At them? She had a feeling it was at her.

...

Nice smile though.

Hoseok does not know why the little tiger is staring at him angrily. 

"Brother," a sultry voice called, the voices in the Court lowering to hear what Princess Junghwa has to say.

Princess Junghwa, half-sister to Jungkook, daughter of the late Queen Bae, and cousin to Royal Consort Bae, raised her wine and said, "I wish you prosperity and congratulations on the upcoming birth of your first child."