Chapter 18

Chaeyoung couldn't see but without a doubt, she knows Hoseok was grinning behind the mask covering the lower part of his face and it irks her to no end, feeling like a puppet on strings, having no choice but to follow his will. She was on her back on the sandy ground in the backyard on top of dried leaves that crackle with each movement.

"And that is how you use your opponent's force against them." Hoseok said as he stand one foot away, looking cool and calm after throwing Chaeyoung onto the ground yet again.

He was enjoying how the flame in Chaeyoung's spirited eyes burn even brighter as she gets more frustrated.

Then the fire dimmed as Chaeyoung softly grunted in pain as she tugged at the wound on her thigh, red seeping into her white outfit. The slight smell of blood soon hits Hoseok's nose.

"You alright?" Hoseok asked as he squatted down to check on Chaeyoung's injury. Wait, why did he only smell the blood so late?

Hoseok had just enough time to hop backwards as Chaeyoung used her good leg to kick him.

"I w-win." Chaeyoung panted and Hoseok looked down to see a light sandy mark of half a shoe-print on his knee. It was worth tearing open her own wound for that, otherwise she would never have landed a shot.

Hoseok's face split into a wide toothy grin and his eyes crinkled. He laughed so hard, the bird resting on the tree above squawked in shock and flew away, and he still couldn't stop laughing as he lost his balance and fell on his behind, getting dirt onto his pants.

"That...hahahaha...was great!" Hoseok chortled. "Little tiger, you're amazing!"

Chaeyoung couldn't help the uplift of her mouth at Hoseok's praise and unbridled happiness.

Hoseok said, "I haven't laughed like that in a long time. As per our bet, you get a wish for scoring a hit. What do you want?"

Chaeyoung could tell from her years in the palace that Hoseok was a man from a noble family, and probably a man of status, even if he had kept his face hidden for all the time she was here. However she was not in need of riches. She only wants to return to the palace soon to see her family, the First Royal Consort, and her fellow attendants, and Hoseok had already told her it would be within these few days. Chaeyoung doesn't have anything she wants.

She shrugged. "You can owe me till I think of something."

Hoseok readily agreed and he reached his hand out. "Let's get your wound cleaned and bandaged again, then you will pack your belongings to depart for the palace tonight."

"Tonight?" Chaeyoung squeaked in excitement. That was sooner than she thought! She jumped onto her feet, blanching at the pain from her reopened wound, then quickly rushed to her room.

"Hey, bandage first!" Hoseok called at her retreating back. He was promptly ignored.

Hoseok huffed, "maybe she's a rabbit. Why does Taehyung keep the jumpy ones beside him? Jimin is a rabbit-rabbit and this one is a tiger-rabbit. But when Jimin is angry, he's scary."

"..."

He concluded, "both are monster rabbits."

"Chaeyoung-ah, bandage first!" Grandma Lee shouted.

"Oh okay, Granny!" Chaeyoung replied and she stilled from all the running around and even helped to take the bandage to her room.

Hoseok stared in disbelief. "Hey! You wouldn't listen to me and you're listening to granny now!?"

Hoseok shook his head and then went to prepare the carriage to bring Chaeyoung back to the palace.

Chaeyoung was met with tons of cushions for her to lay and sit on when she entered the carriage. She turned around to see Hoseok bringing her belongings up for her.

"Goodbye, little tiger. Be careful when you're back in the lion's den." Hoseok said, and Chaeyoung could see his eyes crinkle as usual as he smiles.

Hoseok turned around as he felt a tug pulling him. He looked back, seeing Chaeyoung pulling his top. She gave him a little bow, "thank you, mister half-mask."

Hoseok patted her hand, noting how small it is against his. He stepped off from the carriage and signalled for his subordinate, the coachman for the night, to head towards the palace.

Chaeyoung took one last look at Hoseok and Grandma Lee as she lowered the curtain of the little window. She is heading back to the palace, and she swears she will find the master of the men who wanted to take her life and left Umji unconscious.

- a/n -

Hi friends! Sorry that i can't reply to some comments as too much of the plot would be revealed :(

It is always heartwarming to see you all reading voting and commenting. Thank you 🦋

Have a great day!!

- rsv