Chapter 2

Consort Moon had stayed quietly in her chambers for days. If she had a tail, it would be tucked between her legs.

By the time the King had visited her that night, Consort Moon had washed up and calmed down reasonably. She had served him more cautiously than before, knowing full well that he holds her fate in his hands.

She only nodded meekly as he said, "you had erred, my flower. You should be punished for that, yes?"

As he gently applied a soothing cream onto her face, she snuggled into his palm to be closer to him, even if her cheek tingled in pain from that action.

He sighed as if his heart aches at her pitiful state, "my beautiful flower."

Consort Moon dared not ask why the King did not stand up for her and give in to whatever the First Royal Consort says. It was Taehyung's fault, she reasoned. Such beauty was magnetic, demonic, even Consort Moon almost keeled when she first saw him.

It was not the King's fault.

The King stayed the night and she returned to being a proud peacock. She might have been demoted, but the King's affection never faltered.

Consort Moon was burning with humiliation, the memory of every strike on her face still fresh in her mind. She will make Taehyung pay after her face heals.

Taehyung does not give a damn about what Consort Moon thinks.

He is now in Consort Rose's chambers, heartened that she is awake.

Consort Sooya also visited Consort Rose. She was seated on Consort Rose's bed and tearing with joy that her friend had survived the ordeal. Consort Sooya had been ridden with guilt that she could not help Consort Rose that day. Regardless of the fact that there were too many attendants making sure no one could get to her.

Consort Rose consoled her friend, "Soo, it was not your fault. Even if I was in your position, I would not have been able to help. She was a Royal Consort. With the powers bestowed upon her due to her rank alone, if you had gotten to me, she would have given you a worse ending. I am glad that it was me she had pushed into the pond instead of you. Sweet Soo," Consort Rose said teasingly, "you wouldn't have lasted."

Sooya couldn't help but smile through her tears. Her friend is now well enough to poke fun at her.

Rose requested, "Now that you are the stronger of us two, help me get up please."

Sooya complied. Rose sat up, and shifted till she was on her knees facing Taehyung.

"Forgive me, your highness, that I am too weak to pay you my respects or express my gratitude properly."

Taehyung frowned, but did not stop or interrupt Rose.

Rose continued, her throat strained from talking too much, "my attendants had informed me of your kindness. Thank you, I might not have awakened if not for your herbs and swift action that day."

As soon as Taehyung had gotten the news from a frantic attendant, he had sent multiple attendants to pull Rose out of the water and summoned an imperial physician to tend to her by the pond.

Sooya got off the bed and kneeled down as well. She bowed her head to the ground.

"Your highness, I thought that I would lose my precious friend that day. I speak for myself and for Rose that we are honoured to have you as Jeon Kingdom's First Royal Consort and we are in your debt. One day, we will return your favour." Determination bellied Sooya's words.

How could she not be grateful to Taehyung? He had gone beyond his duty as First Royal Consort to ensure their well-being, two consorts who would not have been missed if anything untoward had happened. Everyone also knows the fifteen slaps was revenge, for Rose and Sooya could not even lay a scratch on Consort Moon, neither with her father as a general, nor with her holding the King's affections. Taehyung had risked irking the King, he who owns them all, for them, who had nothing to give in return.

Taehyung had never expected to hear steel in Sooya's voice.

Taehyung smiled genuinely and shook his head, "there is no need to repay me. For it is our kingdom's blessing to have consorts as such - resilient and steadfast. It would bring joy to me if both of you would recover and be well."

He personally pulled Sooya to her feet, and Rose back to a resting position, the sincerity in his eyes conveying that he said what he meant.

Rose and Sooya learned the First Royal Consort is kind and just, and utterly different from the rumours. Why would the people say he was nothing but a jealous simpleton?

- a/n -

Hmm, why?

Still excited about this story!

The fantasy part is coming soon.

-rsv