Chapter 30 (new)

Habits, much like feelings, creep up unexpectedly. They start with the most subtle of things and by the time they are discovered, the roots have dug into the soil and stayed for a long time.

For example, the constant battling of feelings and opinions and wants.

For example, scheming to attain certain objectives in the palace.

For example, Chaeyoung writes letters occasionally but never sends them out. She instead keeps them in a spot no one would ever look in.

For example, how the royal chef sends a list to Jungkook of what Taehyung eats ever since the First Royal Consort was sick with fever, not stopping even after Taehyung's recovery. The King did not ask him to stop anyway.

Jungkook did not find himself meddlesome. He should continue to be concerned about his Conosrt's health, even if he is no longer sick, no?

Yes, thank you, he agrees too. Yes, he thinks that is reasonable.

Thus when Taehyung ordered a replica of the King's dishes from the banquet for breakfast, an act Jungkook found too hearty for the first meal of the day, he had appeared in Taehyung's palace.

Taehyung had tilted his head quizzically at Jungkook's appearance. They rarely have breakfast together. Is anything the matter?

Jungkook had simply acted that this was an ordinary occurrence and sat himself down while one of Taehyung's well-trained attendants fetched another set of cutlery. Taehyung thought that it doesn't matter, he does not dislike the King's presence, and so he went along with it, until...

"Your majesty," Taehyung said with slight annoyance, "will you not be too full for Court?"
Although what he really means is for Jungkook to stop eating half of everything, leaving only a bit of each for Taehyung to try.

Jungkook only patted Taehyung's thigh and followed up with another topic, successfully distracting the usually quick-witted First Royal Consort.

"My love," Jungkook addressed as Taehyung glanced up from the hand that had no reason to be rubbing his thigh and sending shivers throughout his body, "I have a few questions for you."

Taehyung recalls the move Hoseok taught him before. "It is very useful against perverts," he had said.

If the King does not move away his hand in three seconds, Taehyung might just grab the pinky quickly and bend it sidewards to break it. He might even hold it down for added pain.

Three.

Two.

Taehyung looked at Jungkook's hand, cracking his own neck at the sight as his eyes darkened. Would breaking a pinky finger make such a loud noise?

 Would breaking a pinky finger make such a loud noise?

On—

Jungkook lifted his hands to take out the scroll Taehyung had given him as one of his birthday presents.

Hmph, luck is on the King's side today.

Jungkook held the plain bamboo scroll in his hand. One would not be able to tell from its innocent appearance that Jungkook had spent hours re-reading it, absorbing the wisdom it has to offer.

He asked, "did you write this, my love?"

Oh, that.

Taehyung replied, "you could say it is a joint effort. My cousins, brother, and I used to debate answers for the imperial exam during our gatherings."

Usually based on the Kingdom's current affairs, answers analysing the situation and providing a suitable solution are valued, and sometimes implemented. Top scholars are selected based on their analytical and problem-solving skills and are almost always accepted into Court as officials. Scholar Yoo was one such case. 

Taehyung had jotted down the questions of the past ten years and the Kims' proposed solutions and drawbacks to each.

It was a gift Taehyung knew the King would value. One of Jungkook's virtues is that he truly cares for his people and Taehyung trusts the young King would implement measures to improve the lives of the citizens.

"My love, it was proposed in this scroll that trade can be a tool to improve relations with another Kingdom and to increase wealth. What say you, if we invite the ruler of the Min kingdom for a visit to our Kingdom as an esteemed guest, as a first step?"

The Jeon Kingdom and Min Kingdom always have a neutral relationship. They neither engage in war nor have close relations, only sending gifts to each other once in a while.

Rumours say that the current King is peaceful by nature and loves his only companion, a small dog.

"I am not to interfere in Court matters, your majesty."

"You have my word that you are not interfering, my love."

"Then I would say that you make a wise decision, my King. If all goes well, a peace treaty and opening of trade routes may be in order. If the Min Kingdom is willing to share their advanced techniques in clothesmaking, especially on how they keep their fabric sturdy but light and comfortable, our soldiers and people would benefit greatly."

Jungkook nodded, already formulating a plan and garnered a general idea on the topics he would talk to King Min when he arrives.

Jungkook had found two new habits.

One, to seek the opinion of his First Royal Consort, who clearly has valuable input.

Two, to test how far he could go in terms of intimacy before he gets the sense his First Royal Consort was about to break his bones.