Chapter 7

"Umji still says that she only serves you, your highness. She claims she had relayed the information out of loyalty, that you should know your status is being threatened by Royal Consort Bae. We do not believe she is speaking the truth." Jimin and Chaeyoung reported.

A light crease adorned Taehyung's forehead. He said, "Hurry, Jimin. I have a bad feeling. Chaeyoung, you have been in this palace for a long time. See if you can find anything about Umji and her family."

"Yes, your highness."

Chaeyoung headed out to talk to Umji's closest friends in the palace while Jimin returned to the cell where Umji was imprisoned, after informing the other guards to call them immediately if there is any danger.

"Your highness, Royal Consort Bae will like to have a meeting," an attendant outside the hall entered to announce.

Taehyung ordered from a reclining chair draped with the softest furs, "tell her that I am unwell, and for her to return to her chambers to rest."

"Greetings, your highness." Royal Consort Bae had entered the halls without consent, and is now in a curtesy.

Royal Consort Bae found it odd that Jimin and Chaeyoung were not beside Taehyung. Her eyes then flicked from Taehyung's pale face to the furs he was lying on. They were from the King's first kills from his annual hunting trips.  It was much more precious than those in her chambers, simple contributions from other Kingdoms.

Royal Consort Bae was just as Taehyung last saw her a year ago. She always had a penchant for soft colours. The robes she wore today were of a cherry blossom hue, bringing out her fair skin, and her button features make her look like a harmless doe.

Taehyung now knows better. She is a black crow who always liked to take what is not hers.

If one would take a closer look, it could be seen that Royal Consort Bae does not have a single hair out of place and her accessories were strategically placed to bring out the elegant slope of her neck and highlight her slim fingers. Her beauty was carefully arranged.

Taehyung lazily gazed at her and made no mention of her insubordination. She had always been a daring one. "Rise, Royal Consort Bae. Now that you are pregnant, you should sit and rest."

"My health cannot be compared to showing you the respect you deserve, your highness." Royal Consort Bae remained in a curtesy.

Bae Soohyun. The one who taught Taehyung not to trust readily. Taehyung's parents were right, his trusting nature was not suitable for court, and apparently not for dealing with consorts too.

Bae Soohyun was one of the existing consorts before his wedding to the King. She saw through Taehyung easily. As long as she approached him in a friendly and welcoming manner, the kind and trusting boy underneath would shine through. As she predicted, they easily became friends.

Taehyung had yet to know that an ugly heart could be hidden under anyone's skin.

Then, he started noticing how she would stay till dinner time, when the King would always arrive at Taehyung's halls.

She was gentle and shy whenever the King was around, a blush painting the smooth skin, but her eyes daringly linger over the King's form. Taehyung never stopped her, and one day, the King spent his night at her chambers.

Taehyung waited and she never showed at his halls again. Let this be a lesson, Taehyung told himself, that in this palace, everyone has a motive.

Through his time here, Taehyung learned from every lesson and the antics of the consorts barely affect him anymore.

Taehyung's lips lifted in a lazy smile. "Indeed, then you should stand for a while more," he said.

Ah, he has done it again. Taehyung reflected on himself. Lately he seems to be getting out of hand, his tongue being no stranger to sharp words to those who provoke him.

It must be because the King spoils him so. Well then, Taehyung shrugged, let the King's women suffer from it.

Royal Consort Bae looked slightly taken aback at Taehyung's obnoxious reply. Perhaps in her mind, he was still the boy with the gentle smile.  A little cub, she had called him.

Now, Taehyung's indifferent eyes and relaxed stance reminded her of a tiger comfortable in its own habitat. His aura is now similar to the King's, Royal Consort Bae concluded, one that she could not see through.

She feels like a prey in predator territory. She licked her suddenly dry lips, cautiously thinking over her rehearsed words one more time.

Taehyung's eyelids fluttered from the lack of sleep, and he made no means to hide his fatigue and how Royal Consort Bae is a unwelcome disruption.

"Is anything the matter?" He murmured.

"I'm just here to visit your highness," Royal Consort Bae said as her hand lowered to caress her small rounded stomach. "It has been a while and I might not be able to move around as much as I like later on."

Taehyung hummed in acknowledgement and he blatantly closed his eyes.

"Are you going to watch me sleep?" Taehyung asked as Royal Consort Bae made no effort to leave. "Or are you waiting for the King again? There is no need for such tricks anymore, surely he visits the mother of his child?"

A heat creeped up to Royal Consort Bae's cheeks and she hastily curtseyed before leaving Taehyung's halls with her attendants.

Royal Consort Bae fisted her hands so tightly in a bid to control her anger and embarrassment, her fingernails cut bloody crescents into her palms. If not for her plans, she wouldn't visit Taehyung and put up with the humiliation.