Chapter 19

Taehyung's palace looms within Jungkook's sight. Behind its closed doors was a hushed frenzy as attendants carried water, cloths, bedsheets, medicine, pillows, and small trays of food quietly but quickly.

"If only Chaeyoung is here now instead of tonight," Jimin muttered. That girl is strong and fast enough to do double the work of what a normal attendant can.

The imperial physician had just left, leaving behind herbs and instructions on how to care for Taehyung's high fever.

"Is there any way to bring down the fever quicker?" Jimin had asked the physician worriedly.

"If you have ice, then you can soak a cloth in iced water and put it on his highness' forehead or at the nape of his neck," the imperial physician said. "Unfortunately I do not know where you can get any."

Ice was so rare and difficult to keep during seasons other than winter, only the wealthiest families, such as the Baes, has it. Finding Royal Consort Bae was out of the question but there was one person Jimin knows of who has something better than ice.

"How about the Dragon Stone?" Jimin asked.

The imperial physician gaped, "the one in the King's possession? That would work but... would the King lend it?"

"I would have to try."

The King whose palanquin was right outside the doors and currently being stopped by a kneeling attendant from Royal Consort Bae's palace.

What Jungkook is sitting in, with six attendants lifting it

(Image from Asian Art Newspaper)

Her hair was dishevelled from rushing over from outside the Royal Court after she was informed the King had headed over to the First Royal Consort's palace. She had to take a deep breath before she addressed the King.

She implored, "pardon my impudence, my King. Royal Consort Bae is experiencing pain in her abdomen and your presence would greatly soothe her discomfort. Please pay her a visit."

The attendant kept her eyes on the ground. She has never dared to look at the King, only memorising how his lower robes and shoes looked like, as she was taught. He was too mighty and too distant from the likes of attendants such as herself.

Jungkook's expression and tone was unreadable as he said, "I will visit her after seeing the First Royal Consort."

The attendant always had the feeling the King was a cold man.

Jungkook raised his hand, signalling his attendants to move forward towards Taehyung's palace.

Royal Consort Bae's attendant, Seul, was desperate now. If she was unsuccessful in redirecting the King to Royal Consort Bae's palace, she would receive a beating. Seul knows it would be harsh as the Royal Consort especially despises losing to the First Royal Consort. The evidence was the gash on her fellow attendant's calf, who was cut with porcelain shards of a smashed cup the day the Royal Consort returned from her visit to the First Royal Consort.