Chapter 16

Taehyung does not feel any better after his nap and taking the first dose of cold medicine prescribed by the imperial physician. In fact, he feels hot and cold all over, a dry heat in his mouth, yet he shivers when he takes off the covers. He developed a fever.

He feels his head start to pound as the consorts trickle into his hall. They had greeted him and tried to keep their voices down after seeing he was unwell. However, as more of them arrived, Taehyung can't help but think they sound like a thousand birds chirping as they excitedly discussed which colour and pattern suits them the most and what style they would have the imperial seamstress sew for them.

"Consort Sooya, you should give that violet to me. What use do you have for it when the King does not even remember you?" Consort Moon sneered as she stretched her fingers towards the cloth.

"Why should she when she saw that first?" Consort Rose huffed.

Sigh, the inevitable has started.

"Jimin." Taehyung called as he tilted his head towards the trio's direction.

Jimin grinned. Jimin was not in a good mood. He gets irritated whenever Taehyung gets sick, he was worried about Chaeyoung and his workload had increased while she is away, and he has one too many scares recently. He will not let go of the golden opportunity in front of his eyes.

Jimin cracked his knuckles as he walked over to the pair. Even Hoseok would have backed away if he had seen Jimin now.

Jimin slapped his hand against the table near Consort Moon, catching her attention. "You look more radiant now after your face healed, Consort Moon." Jimin punctuated his sentence with another slap to the table.

Consort Moon felt her cheek tingle as she see Jimin's hand slam mercilessly against the surface and she subconsciously took a step back. Her eyes flitted between Jimin's hand and his smile which does not reach his stone-cold eyes. None of the First Royal Consort's attendants are lamblike as those serving her. Barbarians they all are.

Jimin took the fabric and matched it against Consort Moon's skin. He shook his head slowly, looking unimpressed. "Are you ill, Consort Moon? Your skin is so yellow. Are you perhaps afflicted with jaundice?"

"Y-you..." Consort Moon pointed at Jimin, unable to speak further. She may have grown up in the countryside and she is not as fair as the other consorts, but her skin is definitely not an unhealthy yellow colour.

Jimin picked another roll of fabric that is two times the volume of the others. "How about this?" He asked. "You would have enough to cover all of your skin before you recover."

Swinging the cloth like a broom, Jimin pushed it towards Consort Moon. "Look, the First Royal Consort is already sick. You should leave before you spread anything to him. His majesty the King would throw a fit if anything happens to the First Royal Consort. Surely you would know that?"

Consort Moon swallowed, the day of her punishment rushing back to her. Another hard slap and against the fabric and the unsettling sound it produced was all it took for Consort Moon to turn tail and have her attendants following after her. She probably will quiver every time she hears a slap from now on.

"Hmph. Good riddance." Jimin tenderly touched his left palm and pouted. "Oh ow." That stings.

Jimin hopped back to stand beside Taehyung, feeling lighter now that he vented some steam. He looked around the room to see if there are more squabbles as Taehyung started dozing off.

"Soo? What are you looking at?" Consort Rose asked as she sees Consort Sooya staring at a spot in the hall. There is nothing there, only Jimin and the First Royal Consort.

"Nothing, I was distracted." Consort Sooya said a little too quickly as she continued standing at the same spot and pulled her eyes towards the array of fabrics.

"You should take that." Taehyung said as he opened his eyes and sees Consort Sooya look at the violet cloth lovingly but who made no move to take it.

Consort Sooya snapped out of her self-depreciating thoughts. She was just thinking that the one whom she admires does not notice her. Like what Consort Moon said, what use does she have for the cloth then?

"Yes, it would bring out the beautiful pearl-white of your skin." Consort Rose chimed.

Taehyung nodded, each word and movement increasingly difficult for him.

"Thank you." Consort Sooya softly said as she finally took the fabric, cradling it in her arms and caressing the cool fabric before she passed it to her attendant standing behind her.

"I have taken enough and I will take my leave now. Please take care, your highness." Consort Sooya said.

Taehyung smiled slightly, knowing that Consort Sooya sincerely means for him to get well.

Consort Sooya bowed and kept her head low, hiding her blush.

"Oh then I am done too, let's leave and continue preparing our gift for the King, Soo." Consort Rose said.

Consort Rose also gave a bow to Taehyung and the pair left his hall, giving way to Royal Consort Bae at the doorway.

"Greetings, your highness." Royal Consort Bae greeted.

The headache is very real for Taehyung now. Taehyung indicated for Royal Consort Bae to rise. She did not foolishly insist on maintaining her curtesy this time.

"Give her a chair." Taehyung ordered.

"Do you also have some tea, your highness?" Royal Consort Bae asked. "It was such a long walk here."

Jimin narrowed his eyes. This woman is treating this place like her home, isn't she? He said with mock innocence, "should pregnant women drink tea? Perhaps some warm water would be better for both you and the future princess, Royal Consort."

Royal Consort Bae had to step on her left foot inside her skirts so that she didn't stand up and shout at the vexatious boy. Princess? Pah! Her child will not only be the eldest, but he will be the crown prince as well.

Instead, she took in a deep breath and smiled painfully, "water is fine."

Eh? Jimin wasn't expecting that. "Well... then you can pour yourself a cup. There is warm water in the pot on the table beside you."

Even Taehyung raised a brow at this atypical behaviour of Royal Consort Bae.

Throughout her short stay, she only commanded her many attendants to pick up the fabrics she pointed at and they left with two rolls of cloth each, taking four to five times of what the other consorts did.

She did not create trouble, but she still drew the ire of the other consorts.

A consort murmured to another, "did you see how many she took? She's so greedy! Unlike the First Royal Consort who shared these with us even though it was the King's gift to him."

Some other consorts who heard that sentiment nodded and agreed, making sure to thank the First Royal Consort before they all left.

Taehyung only nodded and smiled and Jimin quickly brought him to his bedroom and tucked him in before summoning an imperial physician again.

- a/n -

Heheh double update for you readers since inspiration is flowing right now.

Have a great day and please vote or comment! 🦋

- rsv