Chapter 43

"Tae, what do you think if—"

Jungkook stopped himself in mid-sentence, lifting his head from the scroll he was reading. He sighed, looking over to Taehyung beside him.

It had been a week now and Taehyung's eyes have yet to open since that day. Jungkook moved him to his personal chambers, and after the physician's go-ahead that Taehyung could be moved, Jungkook carried Taehyung from the bed to the reclining chair beside his table. Jungkook wanted to look at him from time to time as he reads over court matters.

Taehyung's presence was comforting and Jungkook found himself talking aloud as if Taehyung was listening to him quietly. As if he would chime in and give his opinion anytime.

"Haven't you been sleeping for too long, hm?" Jungkook murmured to the sleeping beauty. Jungkook suddenly chuckled, remembering how he was always made to wait until Taehyung had slept his fill.

Jungkook pressed a chaste kiss to Taehyung's lips, saying, "this is your punishment for making the King wait. Although it seems that I can never be harsh towards you." 

Jungkook was stroking Taehyung's hair when Chaeyoung entered the hall with medicine. She always personally brews the medicine, and the ingredients and pot never leaves her sight from start to end.

"Your majesty," she called, and Jungkook took the medicine from her, feeding Taehyung personally as he had done for the past few days.

Jungkook fed him slowly, tenderly wiping Taehyung's lips whenever some of the medicine spills.

Chaeyoung looked on, tears brimming in her eyes again at Taehyung's state. It had only been a few days and Taehyung had already lost weight. Her First Royal Consort, always kind and never one to harm others willingly, is looking so fragile now.

When Jungkook was done, he set the bowl down and turned to Chaeyoung, who hastily wiped her tears away.

"I-I'll get a fresh set of bandages," Chaeyoung said as she took the empty bowl and hurried away.

Jungkook nodded and he turned to hold Taehyung's hand, kissing his knuckles. "Wake up, love, we are all waiting for you."

•—•—•

"What do you mean that it wasn't you, mother?" Royal Consort Bae asked in confusion.

"We did hire mercenaries to take both their lives, but the youngest child of the Chois had paid them off," Lady Bae replied. "That was why there was no attempt on Kim Taehyung's life. He was only injured when he was saving the King."

"Then Consort Moon?"

"Someone else must have hired the other batch of assailants."

Someone else? Who could it be? And is obviously after the King's and Consort Moon's life?

"Someone who wants the King's life... Could it be that person, again?"

Lady Bae pondered, "if it is that person, wouldn't it be better if both Moon and Kim Taehyung are alive so that they would get in the way of your Queenship? Why remove Moon? There is no benefit here."

Royal Consort Bae rubbed her temples, all of these giving her a headache. "I have a feeling it is that person, mother. Who else would bear such grudge against the King and have the power to act on it? But I do not understand the attempt on Consort Moon's life."

"Let's put this aside, child. After all, you stand to benefit when either or both Moon and Kim are gone from the picture," Lady Bae said, "and I can help you with that."

Lady Bae then put a finger on her lips to indicate silence as she slid a small packet no larger than the size of her palm to her daughter. The dull brown wrapper looked cheap and plain, a contrast to what is inside.

"What is this?" Royal Consort Bae asked in a whisper, her fingers wrapping around the packet. She knows it is anything but innocent.

Lady Bae moved over to murmur instructions in her ear, "...and after you are done with it, burn the wrapper. Leave no trace, my child."

Royal Consort Bae smirked and said, "you're right, mother. In the palace, it is indeed unwise to take their lives with poison. But with this... I am sure the King would personally order death for both Moon and Kim. Then, I will be Queen."

She stroked her belly. She will be Queen and her child will be the Crown Prince. Enjoy while you can, Kim Taehyung, before the King never looks at you again.

•—•—•

Seokjin laid on the ground. He could not move a single inch of his body. Every limb felt heavy, his armour weighing down, sweat and blood smeared all over.

He looked to his side, Hoseok in a slightly better condition. At least Hoseok could lift his torso to rest on his elbows.

Hoseok looked over too, and he smiled, lips slowly stretching, revealing gleaming teeth and unbridled joy.

"We finally did it, brother," Hoseok said as he rolled over. He stood up with effort, and reached his hand out for Seokjin to grab onto. Seokjin used the leverage to pull himself to his feet.

Seokjin stood, back curved slightly from fatigue, but to his men, he looked every bit the giant who slain countless numbers of the enemy in the battle. Their enemy, the Song army, who is reduced to nothing but heaps of bodies on the ground and turned backs and abandoned weapons.

"Come, my brothers," Seokjin roared, his cape being caressed by the wind. Seokjin pointed to the direction the Song army had retreated to. "We have chased the dogs back to their home, and we will follow, storm into their capital and make their King sign the treaty. Then, we will all go home. Are you ready?"

"YES!" His men shouted, all pumped up despite their fatigue and injuries, their voices reaching every corner of the battleground. All were homesick and ready to end the war once and for all. The idea fuelled them with energy like never before. They are ready to go home.

- a/n -

Stay safe and healthy my friends 💜

- rsv (resha)