Chapter 9

Chaeyoung drank the hot tea in little sips. She would need caffeine to get her through who knows how long before Umji makes a move to leave the inn they are staying in now.

It was the evening after her release and Umji had kept herself locked in her room and only opened the doors once for a staff who brought her food.

What or who is she waiting for?

Chaeyoung looked briefly through her window to see a peddler selling sweets below that she loved as a child. She has grown out of them as they were too sticky and sweet. If she is able to return early, she would buy a few. She chuckled, knowing that the most excited would not be her fellow attendants, but the First Royal Consort.

A few months ago, all the attendants were in a frenzy as the First Royal Consort broke out in cold sweat while clutching his stomach in agony. Inperial physicians were summoned and even the King was alarmed.

Chaeyoung had to bite her tongue so she wouldn't laugh out loud at the blush on the First Royal Consort's face after being informed that his stomachache was from eating too much sweets. Chaeyoung thought she liked this childlike and bashful side of the First Royal Consort more than the indifferent face he puts on when dealing with the other Consorts.

Chaeyoung would buy some sweets for the younger brother too. Like her once, her brother is training to be an attendant. Her family has been serving in the palace for generations.

Such attendants hold a higher position over those who are only contracted to serve till they are twenty five, but her family will not be able to leave the palace and have to serve the royal family for life.

Chaeyoung had shown talent and was handpicked to train in the martial arts. It was more difficult than her chores but she didn't mind. It was interesting and she got pretty good at it.

She served Jungkook for some time before his coronation, and was later assigned by him to serve the First Royal Consort instead after their marriage.

Chaeyoung would admit she had a soft spot for the First Royal Consort. Perhaps it was because he was different from all the royalty she had served.

He was not brought up to be scheming.

He was never difficult.

He cared.

A month into his marriage, he noticed her weary state on a cool autumn day.

"You look tired today, Chaeyoung. What happened?"

Another attendant piped up, knowing that she wouldn't say anything. "She was caring for her brother last night again, your highness. He tends to catch the fever easily."

Chaeyoug's family lives in the palace and only royalty could easily consult the imperial physicians. No one was usually free to attend to the many workers in the palace.

Taehyung only said for Chaeyoung to bring her brother to his hall immediately. He needed some help rearranging his books. She did, only to see an imperial physician waiting for her brother.

"I have a headache." Taehyung said, looking perfectly fine. "Now Physician Lee, I am curious of the treatment of illnesses as of late. What would you prescribe if a child catches the fever frequently?" He gestured with a tilt of his chin, "such as this boy."

Of course, the physician carefully looked her brother over and prescribed medicine for him under Taehyung's watchful eye.

"And what tonics would you prescribe to strengthen his body?"

"That's too much, your highness," Chaeyoung said. Attendants like themselves are not deserving of such care, no Royal would go so far.

She was silenced as the First Royal Consort said, "hush, you are interrupting my learning."

Clearly, the First Royal Consort was not sick and his objective for summoning a physician was for the boy. As they were talking, Physician Lee was almost done writing a list of the necessary herbs.

"Thank you..." Chaeyoung murmured as she clutched the list in her hands.

With a wave of his hand, Taehyung ordered, "go along with physician Lee to collect the herbs and take the day off afterwards."

Chaeyoung bowed, knowing that the First Royal Consort knows of her gratitude without any words.

Chaeyoung should have seen it coming that Taehyung was the type to see things to its end.

Every two months, Taehyung would have a "headache", and her brother would be summoned for a reason or another to be in his hall, and everyone gets a consultation from the physician.

After a few months serving Taehyung, Chaeyoung learned more about the First Royal Consort. He was righteous, fair, his tongue was as sharp as a prized dagger, and he has the softest heart.

Chaeyoung could see his heart breaking as he was let down again and again and she would await for an order to put those consorts in their place. Even then, she fumes as she watches him learn to keep the kindness in his heart carefully.

She took it upon herself to ensure that no one could harm the First Royal Consort when she is around.

Chaeyoung frowned, still unable to solve the mystery of why the King behaves... oddly around the First Royal Consort.

He dines with the First Royal Consort everyday, yet they rarely speak to each other. Does the King know which are the First Royal Consort's favourite books? Or that he paints the most beautiful mountains and rivers? Or that he absolutely loves the common food and toys sold by street peddlers? 

Chaeyoung blushed as she wondered, and why do they not sleep together? Whenever the King stays over, the bedroom is deadly quiet.

Does the King not find him attractive? In her eyes, the First Royal Consort is more beautiful than the others by leaps. Surely the First Royal Consort has a place in his heart as the King never blames him for doing what he likes, however unreasonable?

Sometimes, she catches a glint of amusement and even a spark of joy in the King's eyes when the First Royal Consort throws a tantrum.

Chaeyoung shook her head to get the confusing thoughts out of her mind. She doesn't think she could figure out the pair's relationship anytime soon.

Now, Chaeyoung is bothered about a task she had been doing for the King. She could not deny him as the King is the true master of all attendants such as herself. It was nothing big, just to keep tabs on the First Royal Consort and report to the King if he does anything odd. Chaeyoung knew from her parents that it was common practice for the royal family to have eyes all over the palace on each other.

Chaeyoung sighed, worry etched onto her youthful features. She had never reported anything as the First Royal Consort never does anything, until now.

She felt that she was betraying the First Royal Consort's trust after all he had done for her.

Chaeyoung gnawed on the rim of the cup as she thought of what she should do. She was pulled from her conflicting thoughts as she saw the door of Umji's room open and saw a man entering.

Who is that?

- a/n -

Hi hope you have a good day and thank you for reading!

I was happy writing this chapter as I felt the issues and dynamics of Jungkook and Taehyung's relationship were addressed more clearly. Also, everyone has different objectives and loyalties in the palace.

Please vote or comment!

P.s. recently I'm thinking of drafting all the chapters for this story before publishing them at a go. It would make the story flow more logically, but that means slow (or no) updates. I also realised most of the chapters are about Taehyung and it's partly because Jungkook's character is not well formed in my mind yet so I would like to take time to work on that.

- rsv