Bonus Chapter - Wedding Night

Would things have been different if Taehyung had just went along with everything?

Taehyung thought that he had accepted his fate. After all, the day of his betrothal was months ago, before the previous King's death. That day, his father told him the truth of what was said at the temple when he was five, that he was meant to rule, and his parents hid him away.

They lied to the world that he was constantly ill and hid his brilliance under rumours. It was fate that months before the reigning king's death, he found out anyway, and decreed him to marry Jungkook, who was the Crown Prince then. 

Yet on the morning of his wedding, as Taehyung slipped into the bridal robes, his heart was heavier than the jewels adorning his head. He wanted to laugh and cry at the absurdity of it all.

Because of a prophecy, I was trapped in my rooms, only allowed to leave my house during my birthday.

Other than Jimin, I have no friends to my name.

I could not choose my own love.

My brother was sent by my fiancé's father to war, as a threat over my head.

To the public, no one knows about my prophecy. Instead, I have to appear thankful that the old King took a liking to me and appointed me as the First Royal Consort.

Today, I am entering his cage.

Taehyung's heart shattered as his father entered his room to say goodbye before he boards the carriage to the palace. His father, once a judge, who never showed emotion in front of the toughest criminals, had tear streaks down his face.

Had his father looked so old and grey before? Minister Kim held Taehyung's hands, and he did not trust himself to say a word to his child without his voice breaking.

Taehyung pulled his father into his arms, this may be the last time he could do so. He knew his father feared. He feared his child would not survive. He had tried to hide his child but they still found him. He had failed Taehyung, and Namjoon as well.

He feared his child would wilt in the palace, for Taehyung was a bird that had always wanted to fly but was chained by his fate. 

Taehyung had consoled his father.

It's alright, father. I am your most intelligent child, am I not? If I had taken the imperial examination, surely I would have been the top scholar and Namjoon would be second.

I have been living like this for as long as I remember. It will be no different from now.

•—•—•

It was different.

Taehyung took off the thick red veil covering his face and hungrily drank in the sights of the streets through the tiny window of the carriage. He might not have the luxury of walking along them on his birthday anymore.

He didn't bear to blink and only withdrew his gaze when the scenery changed from vibrant life to the dull grey walls of the palace gates.

The palace grounds were humongous, yet Taehyung felt he could not breathe, that there is not enough air in such a big space. He clawed at his collar, trying to loosen the construction around his throat, but he still felt suffocated.

He felt alone even though Jimin was outside the carriage accompanying him.

Taehyung did not recall how the ceremony started and ended. There were many steps to take and he bowed many times. He knew the young King was beside him but he could not see through the veil. An attendant was guiding him through it all.