Chapter 3

"Please reconsider, your majesty."

On the left of the royal court, the officials knelt and made a show of utmost urgency and concern for the kingdom.

"Please reconsider, your majesty." They said again.

The slight twitch in Jungkook's jaw was unnoticeable.

"My beloved officials, would you not rise, if I do not crown Royal Consort Bae as Queen today?"

The Finance Minister, Royal Consort Bae's father, looked up and implored, "your majesty, the position of the Queen has been empty for too long. Now that Royal Consort Bae is pregnant with child, she should be crowned Queen, and officially handle the internal affairs of the palace." Instead of the First Royal Consort.

The King seem to ponder Minister Bae's words. He asked for a second opinion. He directed it to an official on the right side of the royal court.

"What is your opinion, Minister Kim?"

Minister Kim, the father of Taehyung, said, "I have no opinion. Your word is law, my King."

A wily old fox.

A wise decision, nonetheless. Minister Kim is right, the young King's word is law. Today, the Bae family had crossed a line. They had touched the two things the King ever cared for, and they will surely pay for it.

The young King is not done yet. "Well then, who else is fit to be Queen? The First Royal Consort, perhaps? He had done a great job managing the internal affairs. After all, there had been no big mishaps."

A murmur broke out amongst the officials. Is the King planning to crown Kim Taehyung as Queen?

Minister Kim bowed his head, eyes on his embroidered shoes, seemingly unbothered that other officials were speaking of his child. Underneath were socks that Taehyung had designed as a child. It was a haphazard drawing of shapes and lines and mismatching colours, and the drawing for the left sock was different from the right sock.

Minister Kim had ordered the seamstress to make a dozen pairs and he wears them everyday since then. Taehyung, his lovely child.

The King asked, "anyone?"

A young scholar who scored third in the past year's imperial examinations stepped up from the right. His voice sounded as young as he is, "the First Royal Consort is born of the Kim family, officials who had served the Kingdom with loyalty since the start of time. He is surely qualified to be Queen."

Minister Kim closed his eyes. The scholar's praise is but a stick, prodding Taehyung to his end. Minister Kim's heart aches for his child. First they took away his freedom, and now, they are coming for his life.

The King nodded, "Scholar Park, your words do carry some truth."

The King is adamant today. He asked, "Minister Kim?"

Minister Kim opened his eyes, still looking at his shoes instead of the King, an image of a respectful official. But a fox is a fox, and he would claw at anyone who dares to even think about harming his precious child. He would end that young scholar's career, after he finds out who is behind him. As for the King...

He pulled out of his thoughts and replied, "My apologies, my King, for I have failed."

The King let out an intrigued, "oh?"

Minister Kim said, "my child is unfortunately not very bright and I was unable to make him a useful man. As you know, he is prone to jealousy. The Gods must have given him beauty, but I am afraid they did not give him much else."

Snickers were heard around the court. Whose father would say such words of their child? How unqualified must the First Royal Consort be?

The King looked taken aback as he said, "the First Royal Consort is..." the King struggled for an apt word, "...virtuous."

The jealous hellion? Hearsay, for reasons unknown, he had recently punished a favoured Consort of the King.

The King cleared his throat. "He is a great Consort. My beloved officials, I have much to consider with regards to the position of the Queen. If there is nothing else, court is dismissed."

The King headed to the imperial study.

For once, the King did not have dinner with the First Royal Consort. Taehyung knows of the King's reasons.

What he doesn't know, is how his attendant, Umji could tell him word for word the happenings in court.

Taehyung sighed as he thought of his father. Father, you had done all you can to protect me, but there are too many swords pointing towards my throat. I am not afraid for myself. I am afraid for you and Namjoon. Please, do not make an enemy of the King, and we may be able to keep our lives.

Back to the matter at hand, Umji had requested for the other attendants, except for Jimin and Chaeyoung to leave his chambers to tell him the information. There was no point asking the two to leave as they would never agree to leaving Taehyung alone without protection.

"Thank you for telling me, Umji. You will be rewarded for your efforts."

Taehyung ordered, "Chaeyoung. Prepare Umji's belongings."

Umji is confused. "Your highness?"

"Umji had begged to leave the palace to take care of her ailing mother. I have considered her years of service and will grant this request. After all, there is no greater virtue than filial piety. Umji will leave the palace tonight, and I bestow gold and silver for her journey."

"W-what sickness? Why is your highness chasing me out?"

Taehyung ignored Umji. "Jimin."

Jimin stuffed a rag into Umji's mouth and she gagged from the torrid smell, leaving Jimin free to tie her hands and legs.

Taehyung addressed Umji, his black robes pooling at his feet, looking like a demon who rose from the deepest depths of darkness.

"You are not leaving, Umji. You will be staying here, beneath my chambers."

Umji choked as the pungent smell from the rag fills her mouth and as Taehyung's dark promise rings in her ears.

"The time you leave your cell, is when you tell me who your master is, how you could have information from the court, and how dare you bring it to me, knowing that Consorts are not to interfere with state matters."

"Chaeyoung, set out a new rumour." Taehyung said. "Spread the word that I threw a tantrum today because the King did not dine with me."

"As you wish, your highness."

It was too late when Umji realised the First Royal Consort is not what the rumours say.

- a/n -

I have much more ideas now!!

And there will be so much angst as Jungkook is a manipulative ass and there are many characters with all sorts of motives.

- rsv