Chapter 8

"Your highness, I had managed to gather information about Umji." Chaeyoung reported. "An attendant sharing a room with Umji mentioned that Umji rarely talks about herself, but once said that she hopes to complete her service as an attendant and leave the palace at twenty-five. Umji wants to start a family and also stay with her mother, her only living family member. Every day, Umji does not seem to do anything out of the ordinary. She keeps to herself and rests after completing her chores."

Umji is like a blank piece of paper, there is no clue they could use. Her background is so clean, it is suspicious. She is also only a year away from turning twenty five. Why take a risk and garner attention now?

"We have no choice. Since all else does not work, let the rat return to the nest and we shall see if there is any sound. Chaeyoung, you will follow Umji and report to me on who she meets and where she goes after she is freed."

"Yes, your highness."

Taehyung stood up. It is time to settle Umji once and for all.

Umji is sure she was kept in the cell for at least a few days now. She could hear her own ragged breathing and her limbs were heavy from the lack of food and sleep. She has no strength to even stand.

But that was the least of her worries. She was not supposed to be captured. Her task was to relay those words to the First Royal Consort and return to the sidelines as he fights with Royal Consort Bae.

Umji was fraught with fear. Her master does not take kindly to failure. There will be consequences that is undoubtedly more painful than the starvation and threats she had received in this cell.

She has to get out. The question is how can she do so?

A light lychee scent wafts into the the cell Umji is in. This time, alongside Jimin and Chaeyoung, stood Taehyung.

"Would you still not speak, Umji?" Taehyung asked.

"Your highness please let me out. I swear, I am innocent." Umji begged. "I had overheard the attendants serving outside the Royal Court gossiping about the fight for the queenship and I thought that you should know. I am no spy, I... I was just greedy and had hopes of getting a reward. Please, I do not wish to stay in this cell any longer."

Taehyung narrowed his gaze and Umji could hear her heart beating rapidly. Please, I am sure he did a good job covering the tracks. Please believe me.

Taehyung smiled apologetically, as if he finally believes Umji is speaking the truth. "Indeed, I had checked that you are but a attendant wishing to leave the palace for a simple life. I must have been overthinking, Umji. Forgive me as I was not in the right state of mind after hearing of Royal Consort Bae's pregnancy. In return for this misunderstanding, you will have your silver and gold, and your freedom."

As Chaeyoung unshackled Umji, Taehyung spoke again. "Leave by tomorrow morning and never return."

Leave? Would her master allow her to leave her position as the First Royal Consort's attendant?

But... this order had unknowingly struck a chord in Umji's heart. For how long had she been dreaming of leaving, of being together with the people she had done so much for?

Perhaps, she could convince him to no longer work for their cruel master and leave with her?

"Thank you, your highness, I will not appear in front of your eyes again." Umji bowed as far as she could as Chaeyoung helped her out of the cell.

Taehyung watched as they left the cell.

"Hoseok," Taehyung called.

"Yes here!" A cheerful voice came from right behind Jimin's ear.

"By the Gods!" Jimin jumped. "Hoseok, when did you come back and you have to stop doing that!"

Jimin could hear the smile in Hoseok's voice. "You are still such a scaredy cat, Jiminie."

Hoseok emerged from the shadows of the cell. "How can I be of service, Taehyung?" Hoseok asked as he ignored Jimin's punches against his arm and mumbles of "I should have learned martial arts while training in the temple..." and "oof, are these steel or flesh?"

Taehyung shook his head at the pair. Like cats and dogs, these two are.

"Follow Umji and Chaeyoung and report to me everything." Taehyung paused. "Would you be able to avoid detection by Chaeyoung?"

"But of course." Hoseok said without a hint of arrogance. He simply knows his prowess in the martial arts is much more advanced than Chaeyoung's after his years of training and missions.

"Thank you, Hoseok. But remember, hiding your presence is your priority."

- a/n -

Hi and I hope you are having a great day!

Please leave a vote or comment, thank you ⭐️

P.s. I hope Wattpad does not glitch because I was reading some stories here and the writers were saying their drafts or published chapters werw deleted.

 I hope Wattpad does not glitch because I was reading some stories here and the writers were saying their drafts or published chapters werw deleted

My heart would break 😨