Chapter 41

"Isn't that the target we have been trying to find?"

"Are you sure? How could a Consort wear such cheap clothes? Wait, yes you're right, under that rough-looking cape, it is her. But boss already said we are paid to leave them alone so let's go. Having money for not doing a job? Hell yes, let's go for a drink!"

The two mercenaries went in search for wine, leaving Consort Moon to freely enter the palace.

Consort Moon had finally left her hiding place and the kind woman had loaned her a cape to hide her expensive-looking clothes. She was tired and scared.

She looked around before making a dash for the palace gates, the jade talisman to prove her identity already in her hands.

She had presented the talisman to the palace guards and was tapping her foot in anxiety, still not entirely relaxed even though she is near home. She couldn't wait to wash off the dirt and grime her palace.

She was thinking about how nice a bath would be when she felt pain blossoming in her chest.

"C-consort Moon," the guard gasped. "Quick! Open the gates and summon the imperial physician!"

Summon the imperial physician? Why?

"Wait, why can't I stand anymore? Oww... my chest..." Consort Moon thought as she fell, and she raised a hand to her chest to to soothe the pain.

"W-what's this?" Consort Moon looked down, the head of an arrow under her fingertips. That was the last thing Consort Moon saw before she closed her eyes as the palace gates opened  in the background.

•—•—•

It was chaos in the palace. The entire imperial physician office was activated. Physicians had to tend to the injured guards who accompanied the royals in the capital, to Jungkook, to Jimin, to Consort Moon, and also to Taehyung.

The stoves were full with brewing medicine and some of the imperial physicians were even crying from stress while kneeling, both King Min and King Jeon breathing down their necks.

King Min had icily said, "do you know who is lying on this bed? He is the future Queen of the Min Kingdom. If anything untoward happens to him and he never wakes up, I promise you, the Min Royal Army will uproot every house and flatten the very land you are standing on."

Holly barked to emphasise King Min's point.

In the other room, Jungkook was bellowing at every physician, "hurry up! Where's the medicine!? Why is there still so much blood!? If you still want your heads attached to your necks, bloody hell stop the blood flow and make sure the First Royal Consort opens his eyes— ouch!"

Imperial physician Lee stood by the doorway, hand still high in the air, and already reaching for his other shoe to throw at the King.

"You are making things difficult, your majesty. Get out if you want the First Royal Consort alive."

For a moment, the room was quiet as every physician and attendant looked at the King, then at physician Lee. Had physician Lee always been this cool?

The King gritted his teeth and stared at physician Lee, the look in his eyes darker than the night sky. Everyone held their breaths.

Then the King strode out of the door without another word and Physician Lee added as Jungkook passed by, "please go to somewhere faraway such as the study. You pacing outside the room will be a distraction."

Jungkook did not respond, but he stalked off in the direction of the study.

One second of silence passed and the room exploded into a newfound clamour.