Chapter 41

🚢

【iceberg collision】

🚢

April 14, 1912

11 o'clock, one hour before midnight

40 minutes before the iceberg collision

Frank and Nora panicked when Clara started feeling hard to breathe and it's because of the smoke she inhaled nearby the smoking-room. They instantly regretted that decision and could've chosen another place to gather their secret meeting but Clara assured them that with proper medication, she'll get over it quickly and will be fine after getting some rest. They also both wanted to stay with her after risking her health but Clara insists that she can take care of herself and they can go back to their own cabins. Nora laughed at the thought that it'll be her routine every night to bring someone to the hospital bay but hopefully it won't happen again tomorrow.

Clara has been getting a lot of attention from the nurses inside the infirmary. They were checking her condition, give her some inhaler for her asthma. She immediately felt the importance of need and helping someone who is in some kind of risk. No one would bother to notice Clara or help her in any circumstances but when fall into the pit of grave danger, people will come to help just to prove that they have compassion, empathy towards people when in reality those actions coming from them as just made of hideous acts.

Just like Dane. How he manipulated every movement and action that will only lead to his own benefits. And how she carelessly falls for it too. Maybe she shouldn't blame him all at once in the first place because of she also a part of it. Clara was being reckless and let it all slide out into his arms. Maybe it is not his intention at all but now that the truth comes out. She will only believe those things even though it hurts so much. Pain hurts people and sometimes the pain makes people numb that in the end whatever hurdles, troubles come in their way, they would let it passed by because pain already sets in and has no more space to reside. But Clara pain is something new, these things were new to her, and Dane was a breath of fresh air to her.

She's not into these kinds of things. Clara doesn't let people come to her just like Dane easily gets into her. His presence was something anew. Making accompanied. Laughed with small jokes. Felt comfortable within his arms. Even with Trevor, she didn't get to experience what Dane did to her. Because those are new to her—everything she had done with him was firsts and she couldn't forget that easily. It's like lamented on a little part of her brain, can't see but she can feel the emotions.

Clara look at the wall clock it's almost past eleven, she waited for the nurse to come by to ask if she can leave the cabin—though she wanted to leave unsupervised and if she will without the nurse's orders, complications might occur. Fifteen minutes later, a nurse came back to check on her health status. She looks at the nurse, writing something on her clipboard and impatiently waiting for her advice. When she put down the clipboard and faces Clara, her face glowed like she has something good news to say.

"Miss Abbott, as per the doctor's advice, you can now go back to your cabin, and please don't forget to use the inhaler when needed. It'll be your lifesaver. And," she sang and handed her a small bottle. "This can help your seasickness just like you said you were having some hard time but you should take at least one when you feel like nauseating. That'll help you with immediate recovery. From now on, we will release you and always be safe, Miss Abbott." The nurse smiled at her and nodded.

She nodded too, "thank you, I'll take all the prescriptions seriously." She chuckles and finds her way out but before she could get out of the infirmary, she stoned on her feet when someone she hated entered the premises. She's about to hide from him but it's too late when he called her.