Chapter 29

🚢

【special friend】

🚢

Dane woke up with little pokes made by Clara on his shoulder. She slowly opens his eyes and finds that her closely leaning to his side. He smiled when he finds her grinning at him. He settles sitting in his chair, straightened his back on the backrest. His hands were resting on each side of the armrest.

"What was that for?" he asked.

She shrugged off, "nothing, I just thought we supposed to go to lunch by now? I saw on your watch that it was quarter away before lunch. What do you think so?"

He glances at his watch and she's right, "aren't you done reading?" he asked.

She shook her head, "I'm halfway but I can spare some of my time but I'm in need to eat real food right now."

Dane chuckles, "oh, so the pastries weren't enough?"

"It was good, very but it's not enough to make me full so I think we better go to lunch right now."

"On the second-class dining saloon?" he suggested.

"If you want to, we'll go there. That won't be a problem for me."

Dane nodded, "that would be better because I don't want to see Charles around the first-class premises too. And I somehow enjoyed the meals served down there. It wasn't the same as we're eating from the first-class but I don't care about the taste or how it presented, it was good to eat around with someone special and that makes all everything worthy."

"Someone special?" she queried.

His eyes widen, instantly composed himself to answer her. "I mean, yeah, you—someone special—special friend!" he knows he had to get away with it and he did. "But whatever I call you, we're good friends, right?"

She nodded agreeing to his remarks. Her stomach grumbles enough for both of them to hear it. They both laughed at each other and didn't waste more time and stood to their seats and walked ahead where the second-class dining saloon is. As they were passing by the group of second-class people, some were staring at them as if they were still the product of attention but mostly Dane who's likely getting more appeal from the crowd.

"You liked it, huh?" She smirks, "but whatever you're doing there, you're doing great at it, Dane."

Dane chuckles, "first of all, I haven't done anything at all. Maybe it was just my nature that people will stare at me like I'm some kind of celebrity."

Clara chuckles, "or maybe you were? Tell me honestly, Mister. Are you some kind of a personality back in New York?"

He shook his head, laughing at what she said. "I'm far from it, Clara. I won't ever become a personality back in New York. I know I have this kind of trait that would totally catch everyone's attention but I'm not interested, even a single moment to be known by everybody. I want my life in peace. I don't want people to barge themselves just to know me. I'm not that kind of person."

"But you're that kind of person who will talk to the stranger below your level." She remarks.

He was left thinking but he shrugged it off, "I don't care about the state of living of everyone whose board on the ship and the fact that I talk to you doesn't mean we have differences. I talk to you because I chose to not because you're lower than me."