Chapter 64

We all sat around in silence for a while, not knowing what to say. No one who had fought felt like talking about what had happened down there, and the others understood. I had tried to lay down and rest, but I couldn't stay still. I was restless, and I knew why. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw either that silver haired demon, or a random image of the carnage that had become the result of the battle.

Jasmine refused to leave my side. I glanced over at her, and she had the same grim and concerned expression as all of my friends. I knew what caused it, and I couldn't keep quiet anymore. I hated seeing them like this. I had to say something.

I looked at Lisa, my eyes pleading. "Can I tell them?"

She stared at me questioningly, then looked around the room at my friends. She turned her attention back to me and gave me a knowing smile, nodding.

Jasmine held my hand tightly.

"What is it?" Sarah asked.

"Yeah, tell us what?" Maia added. Thomas watched me curiously.

I took a long, deep breath. "I know you are all sitting here and thinking about the decision I made."

Maia stood from her perch on the other bed in the room. "Chrystal, you know we only want for you to be safe and happy."

I smiled at her. "I know, and I appreciate that. You guys are my whole world, and I've been a part of your lives for many years as well. I don't want to lose any of you."

Sarah gave a sad smile. "Lisa said you had to arrange your affairs. Why don't we stay and care for the manor and you can come visit us whenever you're able?"

I sighed. "I guess that's one option, but I don't want to just visit you. I want to continue living with you. I love you guys. I don't want to spend any more time without you. Sending you away was hard enough already..."

The four of them were silent, as were James and the three demons.

I took another breath. "Since the others already filled you all in on what's been going on, and you know of my destiny and stuff, you know I'm going to become a demon like Lisa, Evan, and Sebastian." I glanced down at my left wrist, wanting to see the mark that was there. Despite the fact that I'd always kept it covered and avoided it in the past, it had become a comfort to me over the past few weeks. It was a sign of what was to come, but also that I was never alone. "And as my destiny entails, I won't be able to come visit very often, if at all. I'll be... a bit busy, more than likely. With that in mind, I've been told you can come with me if you would like to."

They all gasped. Maia in particular looked very distraught.

"We'd have to also become demons, correct?" Sarah asked.

I only nodded to confirm.

We all sat in silence for a while as they thought about their options. I grew anxious for their answers. I knew I couldn't force them to come with me, but I desperately hoped at least one of them would say yes. I really didn't want to go live in a new world without some form of normalcy and familiarity.

I didn't notice I had started nervously tapping my fingers on the bed until I felt a gloved hand cover them. I stopped fidgeting, but remained tense.

Suddenly, Jasmine grasped my free hand in hers. I looked up at her, trying not to look like I was pleading for her to come with me. I didn't want any of them to force themselves because they felt bad for me. They had to live out their own lives, while I lived out mine.

"I was so worried I'd never see you again," she spoke softly. It was in that moment I realized she was doing her best to hold back tears. "I want to go with you. Please, let me go with you. You're all I have left."

She used her free hand to cover her face, and the one holding mine grew tighter. I carefully removed my left hand from Sebastian's and wrapped it around her, comforting her while simultaneously giving her my response.

Maia and Thomas were whispering to each other, clearly undecided. I looked to Sarah, who was staring at her hands, deep in thought. The demons around me also seemed to be thinking about something.

Evan suddenly stood. "It seems you all need time to discuss and work things out. I'll head back and make sure your house is clear for when you return." He stopped for a moment, then grabbed the back of James' shirt. "I'll take him back, too. I'm sure he's got responsibilities and stuff."

Before anyone could so much as nod, the two were gone and the door was closed once more.

The tension in the room must have been getting to him, I told myself, trying to ignore what had happened and get back to the topic at hand.

Maia and Thomas had glanced back up from their discussion. They were both facing me, but their eyes were on the floor.

"I'm sorry," Maia said sadly. "You know how much you mean to me, but I just can't do it."

I felt my heart plummet, and I subconsciously held tighter to Jasmine.

"Same here," Thomas agreed. "I'd take a bullet for you, Chrys, but I just can't become something I don't want to be."

It hurt to be told no, but I understood. I was still wary of what would happen as well, but unlike them, I had no choice.

I held back my tears and nodded. "I understand completely. I don't want either of you to force yourselves just for me. Whoever doesn't want to come can stay and tend to the manor for me, unless you'd rather not. I'll come visit when I can."

Maia and Thomas both raised their heads and smiled a bit. They nodded, agreeing to stay and work at the manor.

I turned to Sarah. "You have time to think it over."

She shook her head. "I know what I want, but..."

I frowned. "You're dad?"

She slowly nodded. "I know I could leave and he wouldn't care or notice, but I can't leave him. He's disabled with no way to work to pay his expenses and medical bills-"

"Sarah," I interrupted. She looked at me, hopelessness in her eyes. "Do you want to come with me?"

She nodded.

"Then I'll take care of it. I'll pay off his bills from his treatments before we leave."

"Chrys, I can't let you-"

"What am I going to do with all of my money when I'm not in this world anymore? It's going to mean absolutely nothing to me. I'll pay off as much of his debt as I can. Then will you be able to join us?"

Sarah's eyes filled with tears and she nodded fervently, then jumped up and hugged me and Jasmine. I hugged them both, then turned to Sebastian and Lisa. They were both smiling to see the three of us so happy.

"Well," Lisa said, "now that we have that out of the way, I do believe it is time you all get some rest. It's been a very hectic day, and I'm sure Sarah and Chrystal could both use a good night's sleep." She turned to Maia and Thomas. "Let me know when you would like to leave, and I'll make sure you're on the next flight out." She glanced over to Sarah and Jasmine. "That goes for the two of you as well, of course."

The four of them nodded as Sarah, Jasmine and I settled down for the night. I hadn't realized how late it had gotten, but Lisa was right when she said it'd been a crazy day.

I got comfortable on the bed, and this time I was no longer restless. This time, I fell into a deep, restful sleep.