Chapter 45

I had just finished eating when I heard the door open. I didn't move, knowing who it was.

Sebastian returned to the kitchen, followed by Evan and Lisa. When I looked at them curiously, Lisa responded, "James has some work to do today. He'll come back when he finishes."

I nodded. James was a pretty important person at the police station. Of course he was going to have to run back and forth.

Lisa's expression changed when she finally examined me. "You look pretty out of it. Did you have another vision?"

I looked back down at my empty plate and nodded, but said nothing. Sebastian then explained what I had seen, kindly leaving out the fact that I had nearly drowned in the bathtub.

"Sebastian's right," Lisa told me, her voice gentle. "If your visions are taking place at your home, then the best way to keep your friend safe is to not let her return."

"But what if they find out where she is?" I asked, looking up at her. "We can't help her."

Evan spoke up then. "It would be more of a risk trying to bring her here than it is to just leave her where she is. If you see anything about her being in danger in Hawaii, then I'll go and make sure she's safe."

I stared at Evan for a moment, then slowly nodded. Even after all he's done for me, I still couldn't forget our first few encounters.

"Sebastian's also promised to go help if that happens. Thank you, Evan."

"Then I guess my job would be to stay here with you," Lisa smiled. "It sounds like everyone will be in good hands."

I smiled at her. "I think so."

*

The rest of the day and the several that followed were uneventful. I ate meals in the kitchen, played on my phone, and called my friends at least once a day. Sebastian lay beside me every night, and was there every morning. I didn't have any visions, which I assumed meant that everything was okay.

But after about a week, everything came crashing down again.

I was sitting on a couch in the living room, reading a book I had found. I was only half paying attention, as it was pretty boring, when it happened. My vision went dark, and I felt the book fall from my hands as images began to form before me.

I saw this little town. The streets were empty except for a couple of officers handing out the next week's worth of food. The sky was filled with dark clouds, and lightning flashed often.

Suddenly, a police car pulled into view. When it stopped, several officers stepped out. They all smirked to each other, then turned toward my house. Then the vision faded.

As my normal vision returned, I felt myself gasping for air. My heart was pounding. What was that? Why were they there?

I felt hands on my shoulders suddenly and jerked away, startled. I turned to see Sebastian, and instantly felt calmer. I held my head in my hands.

There was a moment of silence, then the couch sank slightly as Sebastian sat beside me and pulled me to him. I laid against him, feeling that familiar exhaustion take over me.

"Something big is coming," I whispered to him. "A storm, and several corrupt looking officers."

Sebastian held me tighter. "I will inform Lisa."

I nodded, then felt myself succumb to my exhaustion.

*

When I awoke again, I was in my bed. The first thing I noticed was that I was alone. The next was that it was dark.

I stood carefully and made my way down the stairs. I wanted to find Sebastian. I wanted to know what was going on. It was only five in the afternoon. It shouldn't have been this dark yet.

Then I remembered my vision, and I felt my blood run cold.

I gingerly made my way to the window, where I found myself leaning heavily against it. I must not have been out for very long...

I peeked through the closed curtains and saw the dark sky, lit up by flashes of lightning.

A moment later, the door beside me opened. I jumped, startled, and fell back onto the floor. I looked up and sighed in relief when I saw it was James.

"James, what's-"

"We've evacuated all of the others who were staying here and sent the less experienced officers back to the station. Sebastian, Evan, and Lisa are trying to hold off the intruders. I came to make sure you were alright."

"I-" I tried, but I stopped and leaned back against the wall as a dizzying wave of fatigue hit me. I needed sleep. Why was all of this happening so suddenly?

James closed the door and knelt beside me. "These visions just seem to be making you weaker as time goes on."

I closed my eyes and tried to nod, but instead I saw an image that made me scream in terror.

I saw someone kill Sebastian.

I sat up quickly, and James was trying to calm me down as I fought to stand. I wasn't going to let that happen. I didn't know if it was a vision or just a thought, but I knew I wasn't going to risk it.

"Chrystal, what are you doing?" he asked as he finally let me stand up. "You can barely keep your eyes open."

I stepped toward the door.

"I cannot allow you to leave this building, Chrystal."

I grabbed my swords from their place by the door.

"Chrys-"

"I have to help him," I whispered, then flung open the door. This was a fight for my life, for Sebastian's life. For our future. I needed to go.

I had to help.

(Sorry, guys. I honestly hate the way the last part of this chapter is written, but I couldn't think of any other way to do it. My brain just isn't cooperating with me lately, but I was really motivated to write so I did.)