Chapter 56

I awoke in the same position I had fallen asleep in. Sebastian was petting my hair comfortingly while the people around me whispered about what was to come. Still fatigued, I didn't move as I began to listen to the voices around me.

"So she really is the princess of some demon world?" I heard Maia ask someone.

"She is," Lisa answered her. "We were still skeptical at first, but when her powers awoke, we knew it was her."

"How long will she sleep?" Jasmine's worried voice came from beside me. "It's been hours."

"The first time she ever teleported anywhere, she was unconscious for several days," Evan told everyone bluntly.

Jasmine gasped.

"But she has grown stronger since then," Lisa added quickly. "Hopefully it won't be too much longer."

"She teleported you and herself across the country and an ocean, Lisa."

"Evan, you're only going to scare them!"

I wanted to sit up and let them know I was alright, but I couldn't find the strength to do so. I could feel my headache returning.

There was nothing I could do to reassure anyone. All I could do was nuzzle up against Sebastian again and drift back to sleep. And so I did.

*

The next time I woke up, it was to a loud bang.

I sat up quickly, only to immediately wish I hadn't. My headache returned with a vengeance, and I held my head in my hand and groaned.

"Chrystal!" several of my friends said at once.

I looked up to see Sarah and Jasmine beside me. Lisa was standing by the door, and Sebastian was still to my right.

"What was that?" I asked, trying to shake the sleep away. "What happened?"

I saw Lisa and Sebastian look at each other, and that was all I needed to know the answer to my question.

"They're here," I whispered.

Sebastian pulled me to him. "Not yet, but they are approaching. It doesn't appear that they want their attack to be any sort of surprise."

I thought for a long moment. If they wanted me to know they were coming, then they wanted to let me prepare. With that thought in mind, I fought against my pounding head and shakily got to my feet.

"Chrys, what are you doing?" Jasmine asked worriedly.

I looked at her and forced a smile. "What I have to do. I have to stop my vision from coming true."

"And how do you plan on doing that?" Lisa asked. "There wasn't much that could be changed, from what I heard."

This time my smile was genuine. Finally I could do something right. "It's me they're after. If I meet them in the lobby or outside the hotel, I could save so many lives."

"Chrystal, you are clearly in no shape to fight anyone."

"It doesn't matter what I want anymore," I told her. "If I leave, everyone in this hotel is going to be killed. I am not going to run away and leave all of these people to die."

Everyone was quiet as they looked at each other, clearly not liking this plan.

"As I've said before," I said, addressing all of them, "I don't want any of you to get hurt. I can't stop you from staying, and clearly ordering you to leave isn't working." I felt my eyes fill with tears as I stood straighter and looked to each of my friends in turn. "I beg of you, at least make sure you understand the stakes. None of you are going to be able to fight off a power hungry demon, much less hundreds of them. Know that I understand you want to help, and appreciate it greatly. If you want to stay, I won't stop you, but if you understand that you won't survive this, then please leave now."

The four of them stared at me for a long moment, then began to look to each other.

I approached Jasmine. "Remember my dreams I was telling you about?"

She slowly nodded as she finally understood. "Those weren't just dreams, were they?"

I shook my head. "Something is targeting you. Please, find somewhere to hide."

She stared at me, and I could see tears in her eyes. Finally, she nodded.

I sighed in relief. "Take James with you and anyone else who wants to hide. Go far away from here."

She nodded again, but James spoke up. "Wait a minute-"

"James, please. I know you want to help, but you're just as human as they are. You won't stand a chance, either. Take my family far away from here and keep them safe."

James' gaze softened. "You're human, too."

I gave him a sad smile. "Someone will call you when it's over."

I felt a hand on my arm, and looked up to see Maia. "You will call us when this is over. We'll see you soon."

I smiled as a few of my tears spilled over. That was two of them leaving. Could I convince the others? Slowly, I looked between Sarah and Thomas.

Sarah stared at me sadly, clearly torn. "I know I'll be in your way, but I really feel I must stay here. I can treat you after the battle if need be, at least until help arrives."

I had to admit, she made a valid point. She was pretty much on par with nurses when it came to her knowledge of first aid and treating wounds. If it did come down to it, we may need her.

Before answering her, I turned my gaze to Thomas. He stared at me as he thought about what he should do. Then, he turned to Lisa and James.

"Either of you have a spare gun?"

I gaped at him. Was he really going to stay?

"Thomas, I didn't know you knew how to use a gun," Maia exclaimed.

"My father took me hunting a few times. I didn't care for the sport, but I did pick up a few helpful tricks."

Lisa pulled a gun from her belt and handed it to him. "I won't be using it. I'm just required to carry it. I prefer to fight with my fists."

Thomas nodded to the demon as he accepted the weapon. He then turned back to me. "You said humans and demons are coming, right? Well, this will take care of the former. Leave them to me."

I looked between the two of them, then slowly nodded. They made their points. I wasn't going to be able to make them leave me a second time, especially now, when they knew the whole truth.

I turned to James. "Please, get them out of here."

He walked over to me and held my gaze, almost like he was searching for something. Maybe he wanted me to run. Maybe he wanted me to let him stay and help. Maybe he was still searching for the murderer that now resided inside of me.

After a long silence, he gave me a small smile. "I'm sorry," he said. "I shouldn't have gotten mad at you. You do what you have to do. Get through this. We'll see you soon."