Chapter 38

(Hi guys! I know I just updated a few days ago, but I got excited and couldn't wait! I hope you all don't mind the early update, and I hope you enjoy!)

I couldn't control myself. At the sight of Sebastian, I ran through the open door and latched onto him. He hugged me back.

"You're late," I whispered.

He chuckled. "I apologize. I ran into a bit of trouble."

I pulled away slightly to look at him. "What kind of trouble? Are you alright?"

Sebastian smiled. "Yes, My Love. I'm alright. You do not need to worry. Everything is fine."

He was hiding something from me. I could tell by the way he avoided my first question. But even so, I knew it was probably for my own sake, and I let myself be content with his answer and hug him again.

He held me for a moment before pulling away. "As I promised, here you are, Chrystal." He held out his hand. He held my swords.

I took them from him and looked at them. Holding them again brought me a sense of peace. They were familiar in this new place, and they had kept me safe for years. I knew nothing would happen to me so long as I had them and Sebastian with me.

"I hate to break up your little reunion, but you really shouldn't stay outside for too long. As far as this place is away from the city, it isn't hidden from the sky. We don't want anyone to somehow be able to spot you from the air." Lisa paused, glanced to James, and then back to me before continuing. "Of course, given who our enemy is, I wouldn't put the ability past them."

I nodded, then walked back inside, Sebastian and Evan right behind me. After the door was closed and locked, I turned to the group. "We can all talk in the living room. There should be enough space for us all."

Everyone nodded and made their way into the small room. I sat on one of the couches and Sebastian sat to my left. Lisa and James sat on the other, and Evan stood by the bookshelf, looking over the contents. During this time, I never released my swords. Their presence brought me more comfort than I had realized.

We sat in silence for a moment, looking to each other, trying to figure out what we should discuss first. I soon noticed that James's eyes had landed on me, but he wasn't meeting my eyes. I followed his gaze and saw he was staring at the pentagram on my left wrist. My grip on my swords tightened as I turned my arm so the mark was out of sight. "If it bothers you-"

I was going to offer to cover it up, but was interrupted by Lisa nudging James and Sebastian taking my hand and laying our clasped hands between us, my wrist up in the air, the mark visible to everyone. I glanced up at him, and he gave my hand a reassuring squeeze, his stare never leaving James. I immediately understood. Sebastian wasn't going to let anyone make me uncomfortable with the mark we shared. It would bind us together for eternity. It was nothing for me to fear or hide. Not anymore.

"Sorry," James mumbled. Lisa nudged him again. "I'm still getting used to all of this. I shouldn't have let myself get distracted." He then smiled at me, seemingly a little embarrassed that he had done what he did.

I relaxed and nodded, accepting his apology. Sebastian didn't move his hand, though, which I didn't mind. I leaned my head on his shoulder.

Evan spoke then, staring at James. "I'd get used to your situation pretty quickly, man. You're the only one in this room who isn't one of us."

James lowered his head.

Lisa cleared her throat, clearly wanting to change the topic. "So what do you think of the place? I know it's nothing like your manor, but it's all we have. We can't make the houses too big or they may draw unwanted attention."

I sat up a little. "No, the house is fine. I feel safer being in a smaller space. My only concern is how you keep this place so secluded and secretive. I know you said you don't like planes flying over, but surely people have seen it from the sky. How do you keep this little place that looks like a ghost town from becoming a tourist trap?"

Lisa gave me a small smile. "You must not have been paying attention to your trip over here. This place is fenced off and guarded. To get through the gates you have to have a specific form of police or military ID. Of course, I'm assuming Sebastian just jumped."

Lisa was right. I hadn't paid any attention to our trip over. I'd closed my eyes to shield them from the wind and waited for Sebastian to stop running. I didn't remember feeling him jump, but my mind had been occupied with other things besides how fast Sebastian had been moving.

"We also have special units who watch over every aircraft that comes nearby to make sure they aren't coming through to drop anyone off," James added. "The safety of our guests is our top priority."

'Guests' was definitely one way to describe us.

"So how many people are in this little sanctuary, anyway?" I asked.

"Including the both of you, there are five people taking refuge here," Lisa answered. "I'm assuming you've already met Megan, since I asked her to keep an eye out for you. The other two I've been told you are already acquainted with."

"Really?" I asked, then stopped for a second as my brain went back to several days ago when a woman and her daughter came to me for help. I gasped. "Jennifer? And Lily?"

Lisa smiled and nodded. "They have both been very anxious ever since they arrived. They won't stop asking James or I what is going on with you. Of course, we didn't tell them anything other than that you were alive. But that woman has been worried sick about you."

I nodded. The last time I saw her, she'd been ordered to kill me. She had probably spent the last few days wondering if the person who sent the order had ever come for me. I knew that pain and fear all too well.

At that thought, my mind slowed and emptied, then was filled with images I had never seen before. I was clearly in this little town, but something wasn't right. Someone was lurking by the flowers outside one of the unoccupied buildings, and the police were making sure everyone stayed in their homes. Sebastian and Lisa went to speak with him while James and Evan stayed with me, then-

I heard my swords fall to the floor.

"Hey, are you okay?"

I blinked. My head was once again laying on Sebastian's shoulder, and his grip on my hand had tightened. His free hand was on my cheek, holding me to him. Lisa, James, and Evan were staring at me worriedly.

I tried to speak, but I found no words. I just sat there, feeling fatigue wash over me.

"She had another vision," Lisa informed everyone.

I could only nod in response.

"Vision?" Evan asked, stunned.

"If that's all it was, then why is she suddenly about to pass out?" James asked, still worried.

"Because it is a demon's ability, James. She is still a human. It's going to take a toll on her every time it happens. Now why don't you run along and distribute the week's food rations to the others? Take Evan, he can help. I'll make sure she's taken care of."

James was quiet for a long moment, before he eventually sighed and nodded, then stood and left the house, Evan following close behind.

Lisa turned back to me. "What did you see? I need to know before you forget it."

"A man..." I managed to whisper.

"Did you see what he looked like?"

I shook my head.

Lisa sighed. "Alright. We'll keep our eyes out for anyone." She turned to Sebastian. "You should take her on up to bed. I'll bring you her rations and lock to door myself. Stay with her tonight in case she sees anything else."

Sebastian smiled. "I will never leave her side."

Lisa nodded and stood. I tried to watch her leave, but I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. Sebastian lifted me and started to make his way up the stairs, but I fell asleep before my body ever hit the mattress.