Chapter 43

I awoke to a soft knock on the bedroom door, but my eyes remained closed. I listened as the door creaked open and then closed again.

"Welcome back," Lisa whispered.

There was a moment of silence, then I heard a familiar voice answer, "He's been taken care of. Evan is cleaning up."

I smiled into my pillow. He's safe. Good...

"She told me she'd seen that demon before. Apparently he was the one who attacked her in a dream." There was silence for a moment. Then, she continued. "Sebastian, her gift awoke days ago. Do you know what this means?"

"You're going to wake her."

There was a pause, and Lisa lowered her voice. "I'd be very careful of what she saw in that nightmare of hers. Who knows what all could come to pass?"

Sebastian didn't answer, seemingly done with the conversation.

"She had another vision." Lisa told him, changing the subject. "One of her servants was going to come back home. She called them and stopped it. Now she's resting from the toll it took on her." She paused, and I heard footsteps as someone moved across the room. "She may very well sleep through the night. She really pushed herself making sure her friends were safe. I'm not sure I've ever seen a human care so deeply for others."

The bed sank as Sebastian sat down beside me. I rolled over and rested my head against his leg. I felt his hand begin to pet my head softly.

Lisa's voice was beside me when she next spoke. "And she truly does love you." She covered me with a blanket. "She'll make a fine queen indeed."

With that, she made her way from the room, and once the door closed, Sebastian shifted to lay beside me. I snuggled up against him, and he wrapped an arm around me as I fell back to sleep.

*

When I awoke again, I was still wrapped in Sebastian's arms. I moved and tried to get comfy as I lay against him.

He chuckled softly. "Good morning, My Love."

"Good morning," I smiled back, refusing to open my eyes.

He held me closer. "Are you still tired?"

I shook my head. "Not really. I just want to stay like this a little longer..."

"As would I, but unfortunately it is nearly noon. You should be getting up." As he said this, he made no move to remove his hold on me.

I sighed. "Why? So I'll sleep tonight? Just hope I have another stupid vision. That'll knock me out."

I could hear the sadness in his voice as he spoke, "Yes, but we cannot rely on that. You really do need to be able to rest."

I begrudgingly nodded. I knew he was right. Besides, I didn't want to have another vision.

Before I could move to get up, my mind remembered his conversation with Lisa, and I grabbed his shirt as he tried to stand.

"What is it?" he asked, his concern outweighing his confusion at my sudden movement.

"You don't think the others are going to die, do you?" I whimpered.

His concern and confusion lasted a moment longer, then his face shifted to a sympathetic smile. "I'd thought you were awake."

I nodded.

He gently moved some stray hair out of my face. "I believe they would have been killed if you hadn't sent them away like you did. I do not believe they are going to be dragged into this as long as they stay where they are and the enemy doesn't find out."

I felt tears in my eyes, but I wasn't sure if they were of happiness from believing his words or the fear that the demons trying to kill me could find out where my friends are and hurt them.

Sebastian, sensing my anxiety, wiped my tears away with his thumb. "My duty is to make sure you never have to cry like this. If you have a vision of something happening to your friends, tell me. I will personally go and make sure no harm comes to them."

I felt myself calm at his promise, and I was able to nod and smile at him. He gave me a smile of his own, then kissed my forehead and stood. He held his hand out to me, and I accepted it as he helped me from the bed.

"I am going to head downstairs and begin preparing your lunch. Why don't you change clothes and have a bath? Relax for a little while."

I smiled and nodded to him again. A bath sounded perfect.

He returned my smile, then left the room.

I turned to my little suitcase and laid out some clothes, then made my way to the bathroom, ready to relax in a hot bath and clear my mind.

Once the tub was filled with hot water and my clothes were stripped away, I sank myself into the bath. I closed my eyes and breathed a content sigh, letting my body relax and my mind clear.

But as soon as it did, it went dark, and the same vision I had been seeing for days once again played. I watched as a large demon ran his whole arm through Jasmine's stomach. Her eyes lost their glow, and she slid off the demon's arm and fell lifeless to the ground. He brought his blood soaked arm to his face, sniffed it, and then licked it. Then, he began to turn toward me as the vision faded to black.