Chapter 41

We waited in silence for several minutes, the only sound audible the breeze blowing against the old house. I had stopped quivering, the thoughts of what could happen to Lisa and James outside had petrified me.

After the minutes passed, I got the sudden urge to see what was happening. I jumped from Sebastian's protective hold and ran to the window, peeking out to the scene below. There, I saw my vision unfolding. Except instead of Sebastian, James was by Lisa's side.

The mysterious man was indeed lingering in the shadows of one of the unoccupied homes. Lisa seemed to be speaking with him, James slightly behind her.

He turned to face Lisa, and I was able to make out his features. He was pale, had dark eyes and raven black hair. I felt a tremor of fear when I realized that I had seen his face before. But where?

Sebastian appeared beside me. "Chrystal, get back. We can't let him see you."

I couldn't move. "I've seen him before," I practically mouthed, my voice so low I couldn't even hear it.

Sebastian caught on anyway. "Where?"

I spoke up a little. "I don't know, but I swear I've seen that face."

As I ended my sentence, the man looked up. He made eye contact with me and smirked.

I gasped and let Sebastian pull me away from the window. He held me tightly to him as he sat on the bed again.

As the silence returned, I dug through my memories and tried to remember where I had seen him before. I hadn't seen any of the demons when we had rescued my family a year ago. I had fought the humans outside until I was shot and James took me to safety. The only other demons I had come into contact with were Lisa, Evan, and the ones who had previously attacked me, but Sebastian had taken care of them.

I then thought of the demons who were secretly working at the police station. Had he been one of them? But I remembered his face too well for him to be someone I had glanced over. I had definitely seen that face before, and based on the terror I was feeling, I'd run from it before as well.

I was pulled from my thoughts by the sound of the front door opening and slamming against the wall. I would have screamed if Sebastian hadn't covered my mouth.

Then I heard the commotion down the stairs. Evan and the demon must have been fighting. The calming feeling had disappeared completely.

I tried to stand. My body was weak from fear, and I knew I wasn't going to be able to escape Sebastian's grasp, but I weakly tried anyway.

"Chrystal?"

"I have to find my swords," I told him. "I have to help."

"No, you are in no condition to fight anyone."

I looked up at him. "But Evan will..."

"He'll be just fine," he reassured me.

I slowly stopped struggling and sighed out of resignation and relief. I knew I couldn't take the demon outside, but I also knew I didn't want to sit by and do nothing.

I closed my eyes, then, practically begging for a vision to come and show me what was going to be the outcome of all of this. Everyone needed to stay alive. In that moment, my mind began to slowly form pictures. I could see the demon. He was running toward me. In that moment-

My phone rang.

I jumped in Sebastian's arms as my eyes shot open. No! Of all times, why now?!

Sebastian's hold around me tightened, and a moment later, we were jumping out the window. Lisa and James were outside with a couple of other officers, but Sebastian didn't stop to chat. As soon as we hit the ground, he took off in a random direction. A moment later, the demon was chasing after us, and all I could do was stare as he slowly gained on us.

As he got closer, I could see his familiar smirk, and I watched as his fingers slowly morphed into claws. I gasped, finally realizing where I recognized him from.

"He's gonna leap forward..." I mumbled to myself.

Sebastian heard it, and his grip around me tightened as he nodded. Did he have a plan?

I turned my gaze from out pursuer and looked to him. His eyes remained ahead, but I could tell something was holding him back.

My nerves calmed, then, and I hugged him tightly. "I trust you."

He smiled and nodded. I turned my eyes back to the demon behind us in time to see him leaping at me, claws aimed at my face. I screamed, then a moment later, I was in the air.

I looked down in time to see Sebastian turn and send a kick into the face of the attacking demon. The man flew to the side and fell to the ground as I felt gravity begin to do its job. I started to scream again, then felt arms wrap around me and my safely landing on the ground.

The arms around me felt petite yet strong, and I knew before I ever looked up that Lisa had caught me. I tried to turn my head toward the fight, but she held my head in place.

"You don't need to see this. Trust me."

I nodded. "Lisa, I've seen him before."

"From where?" she asked, sounding more concerned than confused.

"I had a nightmare several days ago. He and a bunch of others found my house, killed my friends, and then they all chased after us as Sebastian tried to run away. He leaped out at me just like he did today."

"That must have been when your gift awakened for the first time. It wasn't a perfect seeing of the future, but you saw this event. Let's just hope it wasn't several visions jammed into one."

I froze as the image of Jasmine being killed ran through my mind again. No, I told myself. She is safely in Hawaii with everyone else.

"James and I thoroughly interrogated him before he saw you and ran toward the house," Lisa said, seemingly trying to change my thoughts. "He came alone, and no one knew he was coming here. As soon as the boys dispose of him, you'll be able to safely continue living here for the time being."

"How do you know he wasn't lying?" I asked.

Lisa looked down at me and smiled. "They have their talents, and I have mine."

I was going to nod to her, but my vision blurred and went dark, then brightened to an unfamiliar scene that was filled with very familiar faces.

Sarah and Jasmine were outside a large hotel, shouting at each other. I couldn't make out the entire conversation, but I heard my name, "going back", and "airport".

The vision faded as I watched Jasmine watch Sarah climb into the back of a car and leave, and Jasmine ran back into the hotel with tears trickling down her sorrowful face.