Chapter 55

"Chrys, hey! Are you okay?"

I bolted upright, gasping for air as I pulled myself out of my vision. I stared at the unfamiliar walls around me, and it took a long moment for my eyes to focus and let me recognize the people around me.

Lisa was sat to my right, her hand on my shoulder, and to my left was Jasmine, who was staring at me worriedly. It took another moment for me to realize that I was squeezing her hand tightly. I took a deep breath and released her. "Sorry. I'm fine."

Lisa's grip on my shoulder tightened. "What was it, dear? A nightmare, or a vision?"

I looked down at my hands, not wanting to meet the gazes of my friends around me. "A vision, I think." I took another deep breath. "They know I'm here. They're coming."

There was silence in the room, and no one seemed to move. I couldn't bring myself to look at anyone. I'd endangered all of them yet again by coming here. Why couldn't I do anything right?

After what felt like an eternity, but couldn't have been longer than a few seconds, Jasmine reached out and took my hand again. I was surprised when she held on tightly, not seeming to care about the dark black mark on my wrist.

"Sebastian and the officer explained everything to us while you were asleep. Please, Chrys, don't start to blame yourself for anything that is happening. You know we don't blame you for anything, right?"

Sarah appeared beside her. "She's right, you know. I understand why you didn't tell us any of this, but you should have a little faith in us. We aren't going to run away when you need help."

My eyes watered as I looked up at the two of them. Maia and Thomas were behind them, both nodding earnestly in agreement.

"I love you guys," I told them, "which is why you need to leave me here. Go far away from this hotel. Please."

"Are you crazy?" Maia asked. "Why do you think you can keep sending us away? Now that we're all together again, let us help you."

I shook my head. "No, not with this. I can't lose any of you."

Sarah reached out and grabbed my free hand, clearly about to give me a piece of her mind, but she stopped short, her anger gone. "You're warm, Chrystal."

Lisa's hand suddenly moved from my shoulder to my forehead. "She's right. Are you feeling ok?"

I tried weakly to shake all of their hands off of me. Lisa was the only one who moved. "I'm fine. I'm probably just still low on energy."

Sebastian appeared beside us. "That very well could be the case. You didn't rest long, and I'm sure having a vision didn't help."

I didn't answer, not sure what to say. I could feel my fatigue returning, but it was bringing a pounding headache with it.

"What was your vision this time?" Lisa asked. "What exactly did you see?"

I remained silent for a moment. I didn't want to think about it. Remembering all of the blood made me feel even sicker.

Before I could respond, there was a light knock on the door. Everyone froze, not knowing who it could be. We were all here.

Lisa moved first. She stood while Sebastian moved closer to me. I stared at the door, holding both my friends' hands tighter.

We watched Lisa as she carefully made her way to the door and peeked through the peephole. After several long seconds, she sighed in relief and opened the door.

I held my breath as the door opened, then released it when I saw Evan was on the other side.

"I hope you don't mind that I dropped in," he said as he took a step into the room. "Oh, I also brought someone else along for the ride."

We all watched him in confusion. How was he able to get here so quickly while holding onto someone else? As far as I knew, he couldn't teleport. But if he was anything like Sebastian, I really shouldn't be surprised by his abilities.

There seemed to be a few seconds of quarreling out in the hallway. I was about to tell him we really needed to close the door when finally Evan pulled the familiar figure into the room.

James was standing there, looking like he'd been through a tornado. His hair was all over the place, and his uniform was wrinkled. He also appeared to be in a very sour mood, but Lisa paid it no mind as she casually shoved him aside so she could close and lock the door.

"Well," Lisa said, "now that everyone is here, Chrystal can tell us everything she just saw."

My anxiety about the vision spiked again, and the nauseous feeling returned.

Evan approached me then with a small smile on his face. "Maybe these will help ease your mind. We all know I can't anymore."

I looked to his outstretched hand and saw with relief that he was holding my swords. I then glanced up to meet his gaze. "Can't you try?"

His eyes widened in shock, then his expression slowly began to hold sympathy. "I can, but based on last time, it may do more harm than good."

"Please?" I asked, my voice soft and weak. "I'll try not to resist."

Evan looked to the demons around him, as if he needed their approval. Lisa didn't answer, and Sebastian wrapped his arm around me. There was a beat, and then Evan looked back to me and nodded.

I gave a weak smile, then closed my eyes and let the familiar cloud drape over me. I immediately felt relaxed. The oncoming headache vanished, and I was only left with slight nausea. Now calm, I started to tell them all about the vision.

"The hotel is going to be attacked," I told them, my eyes remaining closed. "Hordes of people, human and demon, are going to come here and destroy everyone and everything that gets in their way. Every person in every room on every floor until they find me. They'll break into the room, and one demon in particular addresses me."

I paused, the nausea getting worse. I leaned against Sebastian, and I felt his other arm wrap around me.

"What does he say, dear? What happens then?" Lisa's voice asked.

"He tries to use his powers on me, but I'm able to hold him off for a bit. Then..." My headache started to return, and I released my friends to hold my pounding head in my hands.

"Evan-" Lisa tried.

"No, it's not him!" I told them, desperate for him to keep me calm. The cloud around me thickened, and my fear disappeared. I tried to relax my mind, hoping that it would help with whatever I was doing to resist him. The pain in my head dulled for a moment, and I decided it was the best time to wrap up my story.

"He told me he was my final trial."

There was silence in the room, and it was more insufferable than my headache.

"We still have time," I said, trying to reassure them. "I was fine in the vision, so whatever is going on with me is going to pass before he gets here."

"Then rest, Chrystal," came a gentle voice beside me. "We'll think of a plan while you focus on getting better."

I glanced up beside me to see that Thomas had approached me. He was smiling down at me in a way that made my eyes water.

"No," I told him. "No, you all have to leave. I can't let you get hurt. As your boss, you need to leave this place."

"And as your servants and caretakers, we refuse to leave you to fight this battle on your own," he told me softly. "Rest now."

Tears slid down my cheeks. Never once had any of them said no to me before. The fact that they were all willing to risk their lives for me was too much.

Sebastian gently had me lay back on the bed. Everyone moved away, and a moment later, Evan stood above me. I glanced up at him, confused.

"My hold over you will break when you fall asleep," he informed. He then suddenly moved his hand over my forehead and caressed my cheek as he closed his eyes. "This is my only alternative. While it can't block your visions, it will prevent you from having any nightmares." He opened his eyes again as he removed his hand. "Sleep well."

I didn't respond as he pulled away. Suddenly, my eyelids were heavy, and I couldn't keep them open. I then couldn't help myself, and I lay my head on Sebastian's thigh before finally drifting back to sleep.