Chapter 15

I was still on the floor staring at those two words when Sebastian came back inside. He entered, closed the door, then finally turned to me.

"Chrystal?"

I didn't look up at him. I couldn't force my gaze away from the words. I've expired. They're going to kill me.

"Chrystal, what are you staring at?"

When I didn't move, he knelt before me and looked at the paper. It only took him a moment to see what was written, and he frowned.

"I see," he said, then gently took the bill from me. Finally, I was able to glance up at him.

His eyes searched mine, and he gave me a gentle smile when he realized what I was thinking.

"You don't believe these words. I can see it. You're not scared."

I nodded, finding my voice. "Shocked may be a better word."

He kept smiling and offered me his hand. I took it, and he helped me to my feet.

"You don't think he did anything to Lily, do you?" I asked, worried.

Sebastian shook his head. "He would be too easy to track. He wouldn't be that foolish. Besides, they don't seem to be after anyone but you."

"I still don't understand why. Why do people want me dead? I tried to be a good person. What did I do wrong?" I held my head in my hands. Nothing made sense anymore, and it took every ounce of willpower I had to keep from bawling.

Sebastian wrapped his arms around me, which only caused me to fight harder against the tears. I'd cried for myself enough. I needed to stop this. It wasn't like me.

But I had only been absolutely terrified a few times in my life. When I saw my parents covered in blood in the car after the crash, when I awoke to an empty house to find out my family had been taken hostage, and... now. My life was on the line. People wanted to kill me. If there was ever a moment to cry from fear, it would be now.

"Chrystal," I heard Sebastian say gently from above me. "What are you thinking about?"

I somehow managed to keep the tears at bay, but my voice portrayed my true feelings as it wavered with every word. "I don't want to cry anymore. I don't want to be scared anymore. The words didn't scare me, but this whole situation terrifies me. I've risked my life for others, and never been this scared before."

"It is because you have no control right now, I believe. It is alright to be afraid."

I nodded. I had zero control over the situation I was in. When we had gone to save the others a year ago, we had made the plans. We'd trained. We'd been ready to fight. Now, there was always a voice in my head telling me that an attack could come out of nowhere. And after the Jennifer incident, it was also telling me that I couldn't trust anyone.

The tears finally built up too much to keep in, and I felt them trickle down my face. I would be strong, but I needed an outlet. If I didn't let my emotions go, I thought I might just explode.

Sebastian held me tighter, and I let go of my head and hugged him back, releasing the tears that were still trying their best to escape. I had to express my fears and concerns to someone. I couldn't let the voice get the better of me.

I pulled away suddenly, remembering we were still in the main hall of the house. Anyone could walk through and hear me venting. I knew it was the voice again, trying to get me to curl up in a corner and hide from everyone, but I couldn't help but listen. Besides, I didn't want everyone else to see Sebastian holding me. I had no idea what they would think.

"I don't want to talk about it here," I said between sobs.

Sebastian nodded, then lifted me up. I wanted to object and tell him I could walk just fine, but I didn't want to leave his arms, so I remained silent until we made it to my room, where he entered and sat me on my bed, my feet dangling over the edge.

I sat there staring at my feet until Sebastian sat beside me and placed an arm around my shoulders. I leaned against him, sniffling.

"What did you want to say?" he asked.

I took a deep breath. "I know it's silly, and I didn't want the other to hear it. But after what happened with Jennifer today... there's this voice in my head telling me I can't trust anyone. 'An attack can come out of nowhere, and it could come from one of the people you care about most.'"

Sebastian's arm around me tightened, and the tears falling down my face multiplied.

"I know none of them would ever hurt me, but the voice doesn't go away, no matter how hard I fight it."

"If that's the case," Sebastian said softly, "perhaps we should ask the police to leave."

I sat up quickly at his words, causing him to pull his arm away.

"What?" I asked, dumbfounded that he would even consider such an idea. The police were there to keep everyone away and to make sure nothing happened again. And as much as I hated it, the voice was screaming in my mind to get away from Sebastian. And when I finally realized I had been gradually backing away from him, it was too late.

Sebastian grabbed me and pulled me into a tight embrace. "Chrystal, I don't suggest it to frighten you. You do not know any of the officers outside. You may subconsciously be thinking of them as new threats. If we ask them to leave, your mind may rest easy."

I could barely hear his words over the voice that was now screaming and turning on warning sirens in my head. I felt myself clamp my hands over my ears and struggle against Sebastian's hold on me. I fought and squirmed so much it hurt where he was holding me tightly, trying to keep my in place.

After several long moments of struggling, the voice in my head grew louder, screaming that I was in danger, but my body stopped fighting against the hold around it. I knew I couldn't escape Sebastian's arms. I simply hugged myself and cried.

Sebastian sighed, and I couldn't tell if it was out of relief, annoyance, or something else. But the next thing I knew, his lips had captured mine. The voice screamed for a moment, urging me to pull away, but as soon as it came, it had vanished, leaving my mind silent.

I sighed in relief that the voice was gone and leaned into Sebastian's touch. He held me gently, kissing me softly. When he pulled away, I was left trying to catch my breath. He smiled.

"What will you have me do, My Love?" he asked softly.

I leaned against him, my eyes watering again. "I trust you," I whispered. "I don't know what's happening to me..."

Sebastian didn't say anything, but his comforting hold on me tightened.

I took a deep breath. "Tell the police to leave."

I could hear his smile as he spoke, "Yes, My Lady."