Chapter 6

(My second and final update for Christmas. I hope you all had an amazing day. Merry Christmas!! I hope you enjoy the chapter!)

When I woke up again, I was lying on a couch in the living room, and someone was touching my cheek.

I carefully opening my eyes and saw Sarah kneeling on the floor beside me. She smiled when she noticed I was waking up, and I tried to smile back, but the pain in my cheek stopped me from doing so.

"You're lucky that cut wasn't any higher. You could've lost your eye."

"How long was I out?" I asked.

"Not long, a half an hour at most, I think."

I sat up and instantly regretted it. My head was still spinning.

"Take it easy, Chrystal," Sarah said quickly, grabbing my shoulders to prevent me from standing. "You passed out from blood loss, and I haven't been able to bandage you up completely yet. The last thing you need to be doing is getting up."

The pain from the rest of my cuts and my hand then decided to make itself known. I held in a groan. "Where's Sebastian?"

"The police were questioning him. I don't know if they've finished yet or not."

I nodded. "So I'm guessing from the fact that I'm lying on the couch that I don't have to go to the hospital?"

Sarah smiled. "The worst injury you have is the cut on your cheek, and it doesn't appear to need stitches. I also doubt you'll have any kind of scar."

I sighed in relief, then looked down at my aching hand. "What about my hand?"

"Just some bad bruising, I believe. If it doesn't stop hurting within the next couple of days we can see about having a doctor make a house visit."

I smiled. I didn't have to go to the hospital. That was a huge relief.

A moment later, the door to the room creaked opened. I turned my head at the sound of it, and saw Sebastian and James enter. They both smiled when they saw me awake. I gave a small smile in return, trying not to hurt my cheek again.

"Wonderful, you're awake," James commented as he came over and sat on the couch across from me.

I sat up a little, causing Sarah to give me a look. I ignored it. I had a guest; I felt it would be impolite and improper to just lay there while we talked.

"I thought you would have gone back by now," I said.

"We've been questioning your friends," he answered. "We needed to know what happened."

"A bunch of people dressed in black and wearing masks broke in and started attacking me. What more is there to know?"

"We just need to do our jobs, Chrystal, and part of that includes questioning all witnesses."

"Did they tell you anything you didn't already know?"

James smiled a little at my confusion. "They did, actually. You're cook said she was able to run from one room to the other without being targeted. They let her go."

I gasped suddenly and sat up quickly, looking between Sarah, Sebastian, and James. "The others!! Are they all okay? What happened to Thomas and Jasmine?!"

"Chrystal, calm down!" Sarah shouted. "You are still very weak. You need to rest."

"But-"

"They will be fine," James answered calmly.

"'They will be'? What happened to them?!" Had they gotten hurt? What happened?

Sebastian sat beside me and put a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Jasmine went into shock when she saw the men break into the house, and Thomas fought against a man who tried to follow you into the woods. He sustained no injuries other than a blow to the head, where the man knocked him unconscious to try to follow you." He gave me a reassuring smile. "They will both be just fine."

I sighed in relief. No one else was hurt. I felt my body relax and Sarah was finally able to force me to lay down again.

"Chrystal, I know you are relieved none of your friends were injured, but we need to talk about this," James said.

"About what? No one else was hurt, which means I was clearly the target." I knew that from the beginning, but speaking the fact aloud sent chills down my spine. I was being targeted. People were trying to kill me.

James nodded. "It seems that way, yes."

"So now what do we do?" I asked. "Clearly I shouldn't go out in public, but my house apparently isn't safe, either."

James gave me a smile. "You seem to have a very capable butler at your disposal. I don't see a reason to confine yourself to your home as long as he's with you, at least. As for your house, we'll find some people to replace the windows for you, and place some officers on watch around the property. If that's alright with you, of course."

I didn't even think about it. I nodded. "As long as they don't come inside. You guys make Jasmine anxious. But Maia can feed them and then they can switch out throughout the day." I didn't want them inside. While they did make Jasmine nervous, all of them but James affected me a whole lot more. It made me feel like something horrible was definitely about to happen, and I didn't need that stress right now.

James nodded. "That's very kind of you to offer. I don't see any need for them to enter the house unless something happens."

I turned my gaze toward the ceiling, processing everything. People were going to be standing guard outside my house. People were targeting me. People were trying to kill me.

I directed my next question at James, but my eyes never left to white ceiling. "Do you think the person behind this is the same as the one sending all those people who claim to have killed my parents?"

Out the corner of my eye, I saw Sebastian's innocent smile falter. He knew it was possible. Had he not wanted me to connect the two? Had he thought it would terrify me even more?

I couldn't see James, but I heard his grim expression as he spoke. "I'm not sure, but we won't rule it out." He stood, and I finally returned my gaze to him. He gave me a soft smile. "I would assume now that your life is in danger, the police will be more open with you about the investigation. I cannot be certain, as I'm not in charge of it, but it only seems fair. I'll keep you posted on what I can."

"Thank you, James."

"I'm just doing my job, Chrystal. I'm going to leave a few officers here for the night. I'll be sure they stay outside." He lost his smile. "Chrystal, you are very skilled with your swords, and you know how to defend yourself. I do not want to hear that you have attacked someone, or something similar to what happened about a year ago may happen again. Defend yourself and call for help."

I nodded. "I never wanted to kill anyone..."

James' smile returned. "I know. Luckily, you yourself haven't yet. You've dealt some pretty serious injuries, though. That's the only reason I'm warning you. There's a fine line between attacking out of self defense and just attacking because you can. I don't want to see you cross it."

I nodded again. I knew I couldn't promise him anything. I knew I would end up hurting people again, but at the very least I was able to acknowledge what he said.

"Well," he said, taking a step toward the door, "I suppose I should take my leave. I wish you a speedy recovery."

"Thank you. I'd walk you out, but..."

"I understand. Don't worry, I can manage." He waved goodbye, then left the room.

"Sebastian," Sarah said after a moment, "I'm nearly finished patching her up. Would you mind taking her up to her room in a moment?"

"Of course," he smiled.

Sarah finished bandaging me quickly, told me not to move too much, then left. Sebastian then lifted me into his arms. I lay my head on his shoulder, and fell asleep before we ever made it to my bedroom.