Chapter 4

After Sebastian and I saw James out, I let out a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding. James and I were friends, sure, but the fact that there was a man in my house that I didn't really know all that well who was over a decade older than me was still a little strange. But also, Sebastian is who knows how many years older than me, and I accepted him just fine.

Sebastian noticed my long exhale, and walked over to me. "Something the matter?"

I started to shake my head out of habit, but quickly stopped myself. Something was definitely wrong, but I had no idea how to tell Sebastian about it. I couldn't even describe it to myself. Something just felt wrong.

I glanced up at him. "Do you have any idea why so many people would do such a thing? They have nothing to gain from this."

Sebastian's expression turned serious. "I do not know for sure, but we cannot rule out any possibilities."

"So you have an idea?" I asked.

He gave a small smile. "More of a theory, really."

"And what might that be?"

Sebastian lost his smile. "The man who took your friends about a year ago."

I stared at him in confusion. "But he's dead. What could he have to do with any of this?"

"James told you that these suspects have been coming forward ever since the accident. I have a feeling that he sent the people who are turning themselves in. It's confusing the police, and leading them off the trail of the investigation."

"So this man didn't want me to find out who killed my parents?"

Sebastian nodded.

"But he's dead!" I yelled, trying to get my point across. "Why would people keep coming?"

Sebastian glanced behind me for a quick moment, and I followed his gaze, but whoever or whatever was there had disappeared.

"Perhaps they do not know of his death yet, or they were ordered to keep going no matter what happened to him. He may want the stress of the situation to drive you mad."

"If that's the case, he may just get what he wanted," I mumbled under my breath.

Sebastian heard it and was beside me in an instant, holding me. "No, he won't. I will not let anything happen to you ever again, Chrystal. I swear it."

I was about to hug him back when he turned suddenly, pulling me with him. I let out a cry of shock at the sudden movement, then screamed in panic as I heard shattering glass and guns firing.

I felt Sebastian's body move as the bullets made impact. I almost screamed again out of terror that he was hurt before I remembered there was no way to hurt him. He would be fine. It was me we had to worry about.

Sebastian gently pushed my legs out from under me and lifted me up. I was significantly smaller than he was, so almost all of my body was able to hide in front of him. I kept my head on his chest and clung to his coat for dear life.

There was a large gust of wind, and then silence. I opened my eyes and lifted my head slightly. We were in a guest bedroom. He was hiding me.

He set me down gently on the untouched bed. I felt my body shaking with fear. What was going on? No one had ever dared attack the house before....

"Chrystal," Sebastian called out softly, comfortingly. I looked up at him, but my body refused to stop trembling.

He gave me a gentle smile, then held out his hand. In it was my twin swords, shining in the light.

"I will not let them get this far, but if one were to try to get in another way, I need you to be prepared to defend yourself."

I gulped, and gave a slight nod, reaching out a shaking hand and accepting the offered blades.

Sebastian then suddenly leaned forward and kissed me. At his touch, my quivering subsided, and I knew I would be safe with him nearby.

When he pulled away, he gave me an encouraging smile. "Be strong, My Love," he said.

I quickly grabbed his arm before he could turn and leave. "Please, make sure the others are alright. Don't let anything happen to them."

Sebastian bowed to me deeply. "Of course, My Lady."

***

After Sebastian left the room, I took a deep breath and put my guard up. I held my swords tightly in my hands, ready for anything.

The gunshots from the lobby were a ways away, so I must have been on the far side of the manor. It made sense; Sebastian wasn't just going to throw me into an adjacent room.

My mind began to wander as I stood listening to everything around me. Why were these people here? Who were they? What did they want? They attacked shortly after James left. Had he heard the gunshots? Had he come back to help?

The police! I suddenly thought to myself. We had to call the police. Last time we killed someone out of self defense, we were forced on the run and spent more than a month hiding out in a cave.

I frantically searched the room for a phone, but seeing as how it was a guest room, there wasn't one anywhere to be found. I sighed, then raised my guard up again. If I couldn't call for help, then I would have to defend myself. I wasn't some damsel in distress. I was strong. I'd proven that to myself multiple times.

Suddenly, I heard glass shattering. I turned to face the window, and a shard flew at me, slicing a deep gash into my cheek.

Out the window, illuminated by the light of the setting sun, was a man wearing black, a mask covering his face. He flashed an evil grin, then pointed his gun right at me and pulled the trigger.