Chapter 10

I ate as much of the cake as I could before I felt that I would burst, then quickly stood and left the dining room. I needed something to do to distract myself from my thoughts before I went insane.

I made it halfway up the stairs before a noise stopped me in my tracks: a light knock on the door.

I felt myself sit on the steps and hid behind the banister, my heart pounding. Who could be at the door? Who got past the police? They weren't supposed to let anyone near my house. What was going on?

A moment later I felt a comforting hand on my head, and looked up to see Sebastian walking passed to answer it.

My heart began beating more rapidly as Sebastian approached the door. Time seemed to slow as he reached for the knob, turned it, and pulled the large door open.

I couldn't hear their conversation, nor could I see who was outside the door. They talked for what felt like forever, but couldn't have been more than a moment or two, before Sebastian stepped away from the door and allowed in the unannounced guest.

He glanced up to where I was hiding and smiled. I felt myself sigh in relief. Sebastian seemed to believe the person entering the house was no threat, but something in the back of my mind refused to believe it until I saw for myself.

Finally, a dark haired woman wearing a dark blue dress a size too small and carrying a tattered black purse stepped through the threshold of the house, and my distrust faded. I knew this woman. She lived down the street.

I stood from my hiding spot as Sebastian closed the door and the woman, Jennifer, if I remembered right, looked up to see me and had the same amount of relief in her eyes as I had in mine.

"Welcome," I called out as I descended the stairs. "Jennifer, right? What brings you here?"

The woman smiled and nodded. "We all heard the commotion last night. Some have even been eyeing the police cars. We simply wanted to know if you were alright."

I smiled warmly at her, my hand immediately going to the bandage on my cheek. "Nothing we couldn't handle, but thank you for your concern, all of you."

Jennifer smiled again, but I caught her glancing nervously at Sebastian.

"Is everything alright?" I asked her, suddenly concerned.

"Actually, I had another reason for coming here, but is there any way we can talk privately?"

I glanced between her and Sebastian, then immediately smiled at her and nodded. Her face lit up once again, and I took her hand and led her into a sitting room. I told her to have a seat on one of the velvet couches, then closed the door and turned to face her.

"What can I do for you?" I asked.

She glanced around nervously. "I hate to do this, but my daughter, Lily, is sick with something, and I can't afford to take her to the doctor like she needs. I'm so worried."

I gave her a soft, kind smile. "So you need some money?"

She reluctantly nodded her head.

"You know I don't mind helping out. I'll just go grab some and bring it back to you. Wait here, please."

She nodded, and I turned and opened the door and left the room. I grabbed about 500 dollars from the safe hidden deep in my closet, and went back to her.

When I re-entered the room, Jennifer was sitting patiently, looking longingly at a framed picture on the wall of my parents.

"Did you know them?" I asked softly, trying not to break the peacefulness of the room.

Jennifer glanced back to me and nodded. "I went to school with your mother. We were good friends."

I nodded. "What was she like?" I asked carefully.

Jennifer smiled. "Back in high school? Just like you. Compassionate, generous... although maybe a little more outspoken."

I giggled slightly at that. I remembered Mom talking about how she had been in every club possible when she was in school, and was president of most of them. It was always followed quickly by an apology about how I was homeschooled, so there were no clubs for me. I'd always waved it off because I didn't want her to worry about me. Then I'd ask her more about her childhood, but she never said anything more.

I shook my head to clear it and gave Jennifer the money I held in my hand. She stood and accepted it, thanking me repeatedly. I smiled and waved it off, telling her I was more than happy to help her and anyone else in need.

She placed the money in her purse, and I turned to get the door for her.

The following seconds were a blur, and the next thing I knew, Sebastian was standing between me and Jennifer.

"Sebastian, what are you-" my question was interrupted when he stepped slightly to the side, and I could see Jennifer, a small dagger in her hands and tears in her eyes, accompanied by so much self loathing that my own began to water. A moment later, she collapsed to the ground, dropping her dagger and crying into her hands.

Cautiously, I stepped around Sebastian and approached Jennifer. Kneeling beside her, I slid the dagger across the floor toward Sebastian for him to dispose of. He picked it up, staring at me curiously and warily.

I ignored his gaze and reached out to Jennifer, bringing her sobbing form into a tight and comforting embrace.

I looked back over at Sebastian. Leave, I silently ordered.

His eyes turned to severe concern and slight fear.

She won't open up with you in the room. Leave, but stay right outside if you feel you must.

Sebastian sighed and bowed slightly, then turned and left the room.

I held her for a moment longer before pulling away. "Jennifer," I calmly spoke, "you obviously didn't want to do that."

She shook her head violently. "No! I'd never wish to hurt you! I'd never wish any harm upon you!"

"So what happened?" I asked, trying to stay calm.

She took deep breaths, trying to calm her sobs so she could explain, but every time she was nearly calmed, her tears began flowing again. Eventually, she gave up and spoke through the tears, glaring at the door.

"He told me to do it."

I followed her gaze to the closed door. "'He'? Who is 'he'?"

"You're butler," she snarled.