Chapter 40

(OOF. Sorry guys, I was busy with work and finals and Christmas shopping that I completely forgot to update this. Might need to reread the end of the last chapter to remind yourself of what's happening. Sorry again, but I hope you enjoy! I'll post the next chapter soon to make up for it. Love you all!)

Once Lisa was gone, Sebastian turned to Evan. "At least release her enough to let her think and speak for herself."

"Letting her think was what brought this on in the first place."

"No, her vision did. Her thoughts had nothing to do with it. I understand this is for her benefit, but I also know your power can keep her calm while still allowing her to think."

I heard Evan sigh, and soon the cloud over my mind vanished, and I was left feeling warm and calm. I could control my body again, and I could let myself lean back into Sebastian's arms. He sighed in relief.

"How is Lisa going to tell the other officers what is going to happen if she can't tell them about everything happening with us? I'm assuming all of those cops are humans, so she can't very well tell them that a human with demon powers saw it happening."

Evan answered me. "I presume she will simply tell them someone tipped her off. I don't think she'll have to go into too much detail. Besides, Lisa has some powers of her own. Your secret is safe, don't worry about that."

I nodded. "And how long exactly do you have to keep me like this?"

He sighed. "At least until the threat has passed, which means I'll be sticking around for the day. I have to be able to tell if I need to cloud you again."

"I don't understand why I was freaking out in the first place. I didn't see anything bad." I turned to Sebastian. "I just had this horrible feeling of foreboding when I saw you and Lisa start walking toward that man." I looked at him pleadingly, my fear starting to crawl back in. "You can't." My grip tightened on his arms. "Don't go with Lisa. Promise me."

Before I got an answer, I felt myself relax as my mind cleared once again. Our conversation vanished from my mind, and I did nothing as Sebastian frowned and hugged me closer.

He sighed in resignation. "As you wish, My Love."

*

By the time Lisa and James arrived, it was well into the afternoon. Evan did not lessen his hold on me except for at lunch so I was able to feed myself. He wasn't going to let me think, despite Sebastian's efforts to reason with him.

"Sorry for taking so long. How was everything?" Lisa asked as she stepped into the living room. I was seated with Sebastian on one of the couches, while Evan was leaning against the wall on the opposite side of the room.

"She almost broke out of it once. I had to strengthen it," Evan said without looking up.

Lisa gazed at me and my blank state. "I see."

James looked at me with confusion before turning to Lisa. "So her vision from last night was of a man? How are we sure this person is a threat and not just another officer?"

Sebastian answered. "She said the police were making sure everyone stayed away from him."

"Well now we are. There's at least one of us in each house, whether it has people living in it or not."

"Let's calm down for a second," Lisa interrupted before anyone else could speak. "Chrystal's visions are of things that will happen if we do not intervene. Everyone would have been guarded anyway." She turned to me then, but her voice was still directed toward the men around us. "She's very vulnerable right now. In this state, she cannot defend herself. All of you need to remember that.

"Now, when this man gets here, Evan and James will stay with Chrystal and keep her safe. Sebastian and I will go confront this individual and see why they are here. I'm sure we all have the same assumptions, but we have to be sure before we can take any sort of action against him."

Even with the lack of control over my body, at Lisa's orders, I felt my grip around Sebastian's arm tighten.

Sebastian held me closer. "I am under orders to stay here with her."

Lisa sighed. "Alright. You and Evan will stay and James will come with me. It's probably best the police officers are the ones to confront him, anyway."

I felt my body relax at her words.

Once the plan was decided, we waited... and waited... and waited. Everyone around me was getting anxious. I could sense it, but I couldn't share their anxiety. I couldn't feel anything.

It was hours before James spoke up again. "It's been about five hours. I'm starting to think this vision was a dud or he's not coming for a few days."

A few moments later, the three demons in the room all poked their heads up. I felt my apprehension grow, despite the hold on me.

Lisa was the one to break the silence. "He's here."

Immediately, everyone sprang into action. Lisa and James made their way to the door, while Sebastian lifted me and took me upstairs to the bedroom. Evan stayed by the stairs.

Once the door to the bedroom was closed, I felt Evan's hold on my mind faltering. He was distracted and more concentrated on what was going on than keeping me calm. I understood, but I was not ready for all of my fear and anxiety to hit me at once. By the time Sebastian sat down on the bed, I was quaking in his arms once again, and it was taking all my willpower to keep from screaming in terror.

Sebastian kept his arms around me and held me close, and we both waited in silence for what was to come.