Chapter 26

I stared at Lisa, shocked and confused, for several long moments. Was there some impossibly small chance that I wouldn't have to give up my family? I didn't want to hope for something like this and have my heart immediately shattered, but I found myself daring to, anyway.

Lisa was the first to break the silence. "Had you really not thought about this before? Surely your butler told you."

"Told me what?" I asked cautiously. If Sebastian knew something and didn't tell me, I assumed it was for good reason.

She stared at me for a moment, clearly shocked that I hadn't been made aware of another option. When she had collected herself, she gave me a smile as if what she was about to say should have been obvious.

"You can take them with you, darling."

It was my turn to stare. Take them with me? How was I supposed to do that?

The demoness laughed at my shock and confusion. "It's really rather simple, my dear. All you have to do is ask. Leave the rest to you faithful servant. He'll know how to get them there."

"But what if they don't want to come?" I asked. To ask, they'd have to first be told that demons exist, and even then they'd probably want proof. If I asked and they declined, what would happen to them then?

"Well, I suppose that depends on how much they know," Lisa thought aloud. "I mean, we can't really allow humans who are going to tell everyone everything to roam free. But, I suppose if our queen demands they be left alone..." She gave me a warm smile.

I sighed in relief. They would be fine, no matter what.

Her smile suddenly faded. "Of course, they won't live for nearly as long as you will. And even if you're queen of the demons, there's nothing stopping the other races, like angels or reapers, from killing those they see as pests."

I felt my heart nearly stop. Then a thought occurred to me. "I'll outlive them? Wouldn't I even if they decided to come with me?"

Lisa's smile returned, but this time it was one she would give a small child who had just asked something everyone already knows. "If they decide to come to our world, they'll naturally have to become demons as well. Humans wouldn't last a day, even under your protection."

Great, now not only did I have to prove that demons existed, I also had to convince them to become them. I couldn't let them get hurt. No matter what, they were going to be just fine.

"They're coming back," Lisa commented, pulling me from my thoughts. Her gaze was toward the window. I followed it, but saw nothing. I glanced back at her, and she continued, "I wish I could tell you more, but for now, we need to keep this conversation between the two of us. We can't let the humans find out what's going on, now can we?" She gave me a small smile.

I stared at her, confused as to how she knew the others were returning, but aware that if she was right, I was running out of time to talk to her freely. "Wait! So much that you've told me doesn't make sense. Angels and reapers exist? Does Sebastian know who you are? Why wouldn't my friends last without being turned if I was protecting them?" I had these questions and so many more, but Lisa stood and pressed her index finger to my lips.

"Shh..." she said, putting on her stunning smile. "We can't have the others hearing this, can we? I'll try to talk to you again soon. Hopefully I'll be able to answer your questions once your trial is over. You still have to survive it, after all." She winked at me, then straightened herself just as the door to the sitting room opened. I looked back and saw James and Dan enter.

James looked from the woman standing in front of me to me and asked, "Is everything alright?"

I opened my mouth to answer, trying to come up with something, when I heard the phone ringing from the entrance hall. Thank goodness. I thought with an inward sigh of relief.

"Please excuse me for one moment," I said as politely as I could, then stood and tried to walk at a normal pace as I left the room.

When I reached the phone, I glanced behind me to make sure no one had followed, then answered. "Hello? Chrystal Foster speaking."

"Chrystal, I miss you so much already!!" came a shrill voice from the other end.

"Jasmine, is that you?"

"Yup! I just wanted to call you and let you know we're boarding now."

I glanced up at the large clock on the wall. There was no way they'd been gone long enough to already be boarding the plane. Sure enough, it had been nearly an hour and a half since they'd left home. It hadn't felt like that much time had passed at all.

"Good," I told her, happy they hadn't had any problems. "Thank you for letting me know, but I don't want to keep you. Make sure you enjoy yourselves and take lots of pictures of the view and help yourselves to the snacks!"

"We will! Oh, I wish you were here with us."

"Jasmine, you and the others have a good and safe flight. Make sure you call me once you land."

"I will." I could hear the sadness in her voice at how I had avoided her statement. I wanted nothing more than to be there with them, but I couldn't put them in that danger. Had I admitted it, I probably would have went back to James and the others in tears. "I love you, Chrystal."

"I love you too. All of you."

And with that, I hung up.

Since they were boarding, that meant Sebastian would be on his way back any minute, so I could probably expect him home in about an hour. At least I had something to tell James.

As I entered the sitting room again, everyone had made themselves comfortable. James and Dan were sitting on one of the couches, talking in hushed voices, and Lisa was standing near the wall, admiring the photo of my parents.

Lisa turned to me as I closed the door behind me and smiled before turning her attention back to the photograph. "They were a lovely couple."

I smiled. "Yes, they were."

I walked back over to the other couch and sat, preparing myself for them to ask about the phone call, but I never got the chance.

"Look out!" Lisa shouted. The next thing I knew, she had jumped on top of me, shielding me with her body, as I heard the window shatter.

I screamed at the sudden events, instinctively curling into a ball below Lisa. I heard several gunshots as I closed my eyes out of fear. Lisa lifted me into her arms and ran from the room. I heard what sounded like James grunt in pain before the door closed behind us.

We made it halfway up the stairs before the doors burst open and a mass of people flooded in. I clung to Lisa as she ran upstairs, searching for a place to hide.

She finally found a room and entered, locking the door and setting me down. She turned to me. "Call him."

"What?"

"We can't fight them alone. There's too many. Call him."

After a moment, I finally understood.

I removed my left glove and stared at the seal of my contract. "Sebastian. Please, help me."