Chapter 18

I didn't remember going to bed that night, but when I awoke the next morning, I was wrapped up in my blanket and someone had removed my heels.

I rolled over and sat up, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. Glancing up at the clock on the wall, I noticed it was almost 9:30 am. Good, I'm finally waking up at a decent hour.

I quickly stood and changed out of the pink dress I had still been wearing and searched my closet for something. I didn't have any plans for today, so there was no need to dress up. With that thought in mind, I closed the closet and went over to my dresser. I pulled out a pair of dark jeans and a purple shirt and pulled them on. I was brushing my hair when there was a knock on the door.

"Come in!" I called, stepping up to the vanity mirror to assess my appearance.

The door creaked open to reveal Sarah, her first aid kit in her hand. "Good morning, Chrystal."

"Good morning," I answered, most of my attention still on my reflection in the mirror.

"May I check your injuries, please?" she asked, watching me stare at myself.

I wasn't staring at myself, necessarily. I was staring at where the cut had been on my cheek. It was gone, healed, just like the scrape on my elbow.

That demon must have healed it when he kissed me... He'd been so kind and gentle. Did he really want to alter me? Had he been trying to get me to fall for him on my own?

"Chrystal?" Sarah said again, pulling me from my thoughts.

I glanced to her, blinking a couple of times as my mind returned to the moment at hand. "Sorry. Yes, you may."

She smiled, then entered and closed the door behind her. She placed the first aid kit on my bed and opened it while I lifted my shirt enough for her to have access to the bandages around my waist. When she glanced back at me, she stared curiously at my face.

"Your cheek is healed? But that was the worst cut you had. It should have taken the most time."

I gently touched where the cut had been and shrugged. I couldn't very well tell her that a demon who wanted me to fall in love with him had healed it. She'd think I was insane.

Sarah stared at me skeptically for a moment longer before sighing and removing the bandages around my waist. She examined them for a long moment, then straightened herself and smiled at me.

"They appear to be healing just fine. They don't seem to need to be bandaged again, either."

I returned her smile. "Good. I guess that's one less thing to worry about."

Sarah's smile saddened. "I noticed the police weren't guarding the house anymore."

I glanced away from her as I nodded.

Sarah waited a moment, hoping I would explain. When I stayed silent, she asked, "Is there any reason why?"

I took a deep breath. I could trust her. I knew that. I could tell her the truth. Well, most of it, anyway.

"I was just so on edge with them here. My brain kept telling me that an attack could come out of anywhere." I shuddered at the memory, hoping the voice never returned. "I told Sebastian about it, because he was there when I was trying to get the voice to go away, and he recommended asking them to leave."

"Why would that make you feel better?" Sarah asked, clearly beginning to lose her temper. "Wouldn't that make you feel even less safe?"

"He thought maybe I was subconsciously scared one of them would turn on me. I believed him, because my mind was telling me that an attack could come from anywhere." I was trying to stay calm, but I felt my resolve beginning to waver. I finally looked back at her. "Sarah, the police were everywhere. I thought maybe one or more of them would turn on us. I know it sounds stupid. I know the police are on our side. But ever since that doctor..."

"The doctor?" she asked suddenly. "What happened with him?"

"He worked for them, the people who want me dead. That or he was merely employed to pass on a message."

"And that was...?"

I didn't want to say the words, but Sebastian hadn't returned the bill to me. I glanced away, unable to meet her gaze as I quoted, "'You've expired.'"

I saw her turn pale out the corner of my eye.

"We don't think he would have done anything to Lily," I told her, hoping it would even slightly put her mind at ease. "Sebastian said he would be too easy to track down and wouldn't risk himself like that."

"Are you planning on reporting him? We need to call James and tell him everything."

"I'm sure he already knows about his coworkers returning to the station. He'll be here to question me soon enough."

Sarah stared at me grimly. "I won't fight you over the decisions you make, but please do make sure you think them through completely. Without the police presence, the people who attacked the other night may return."

I finally glanced back up at her, smiling slightly. "I'm counting on it."

Sarah's gaze turned from grim to shocked. "You mean you want them to return?"

"I need them to come back so we can end this. We'll take them out, and I'll finally be safe."

Her eyes sparkled, and I peered at her curiously. "What's wrong?"

She shook her head. "You've struggled for so long, and been through so much. I don't want to see you with blood on your hands."

I let my gaze fall to the ground. "I'll do whatever it takes to keep myself and everyone else safe. And if that means getting my hands dirty, then so be it."

There was a long, silent moment between us, and then a light knock on the door.

Sarah moved to pack up her first aid kit. She picked it up, then made her way toward the door. She stopped beside me for a moment and whispered, "I'd rather die than see you suffer for the rest of your life knowing you hurt people, and I'm sure the others feel the same. Do not kill someone for us." Then, she continued walking and left the room, leaving me and Sebastian to stare after her.