Chapter 22

(Hey everyone, and Happy Easter to you all! I hope you've had a good day, whether you celebrate or not. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I REALLY like this chapter, so please let me know your thoughts on it. New chapter will be posted next Sunday, as always. I love you all, and I hope you enjoy!)

The remainder of the day was uneventful. Jasmine asked me to help her plan outfits for Hawaii, and I agreed, even offering to let her borrow a few of my sundresses. We chatted away like we used to, before life had become so complicated and full of demons and death threats.

There were so many thoughts rushing through my head that I wanted to talk to Sebastian about, but I couldn't get a moment alone. Everyone wanted to spend as much time with me as they could before they left for a month, probably because none of us were sure if they'd see me again.

By the time I finally made it to bed, I was beyond exhausted. I lay down on my bed and immediately fell asleep, only to wish that I hadn't.

*

The manor was ablaze with bright orange flames. The sounds of crackling fire and screams filled the night air. The breeze was tainted with the putrid scent of blood and smoke. I gagged on it, falling to the hard ground.

I glanced up from coughing in time to see a pair of bright red eyes staring back into mine, and a sadistic smile on the demon's lips. I screamed, only for it to fade away as I found that I couldn't look away, or even move. And I was beginning to feel as if I didn't want to.

A moment later, the demon was knocked away from me by a flying kick from Sebastian, and I was finally able to avert my gaze as I felt myself take control again. He then stood in front of me, guarding me from the hundreds of other demons that were advancing on us.

The screams multiplied, and I looked around Sebastian and saw Sarah, covered in blood, falling to the ground.

I gasped in horror, then glanced around. My friends, all of them, were down on the ground, soaked in what I could only assume was their own blood. All but one.

Jasmine was staring at them, wide-eyed.

"Jasmine!" I screamed. "RUN!"

She turned and stared at me, but didn't move. She was petrified.

"Se-" I started, but was interrupted and instead screamed as a demon rammed his arm through Jasmine's stomach. My tears overflowed as I watched the demon pull his blood covered arm away and my best friend fall to the ground.

"JASMINE!! NOOO!!!" I screamed.

I lifted my swords from beside me and stood, but I wasn't able to run at the demon like I'd wanted. Sebastian turned and lifted me up, running the opposite direction.

I screamed and cried and kicked, trying to break free. Eventually, I gave up and just cried. Why? Why did they have to show up tonight? Everyone was leaving for the airport in the morning. They would have been safe. Now they were all dead. I hadn't been able to help them. I was never able to protect anyone...

The next time I looked up, we were still being pursued. Sebastian wasn't any faster than the other demons. In fact, some of them were gaining on us. One toward the front then suddenly lurched forward, aiming a hand of sharp claws at my face.

*

I woke up screaming, fighting the blanket that was wrapped tightly around me. As soon as it was removed and thrown on the floor, I held my face in my hands and cried harder than I ever had before.